HybridZ

paint prep degreasers?

ZR8ED

Here is a fairly simple question that is likely not easy to answer.

Background.

Did some fibreglass work on car.

I do not intend on repainting entire car, but I will be repainting upto seams etc to help with the paint colour match.

Paint already on the car is DuPont Centuari Acrylic Enamel Black (99A)

What type of cleaner/solvent that is readily available to wipe down the car where I will be priming and painting. I will need to wipe any waxes/polishes off of the parts of the car that still have paint on it.

I know enough about painting that I need to ask before assuming that I know what to use. (I work with OEM paint only)

Thanks,

Scott

My favorite prep cleaners are just alcohol and glass cleaner,of course there are many "prep solvents" out there that will work fine.Just always remember to prep clean before sanding or scuffing anything and then do it again after.Otherwise you just end up embedding waxes and grease into the paint or substrate.

The problem with alcohol, glass cleaners, etc. is that they don't do anything about any silicone. I suggest you try PPG Acryli-Clean DX330 or something similar that your local automotive paint shop recommends. It is designed just for that purpose and will not leave a film behind.

If your gonna use Dupont paint products, the best thing to do is buy a quart of duponts wax and grease remover from the same guy thats suppling the paint.

I use Glasurit/RM products everyday and think alot of the 900 degreaser, but why travel from one paint store to another for something as simple as degreaser?