HybridZ

Piston Rings, please discuss

I was bored today to decided to figure out what parts I needed to gather up to put the other engine I bought back together. I found this engine on craigslist and the deal was too good to pass up. It had at least $3500 worth of go-fast parts in it. I knew it needed cam bearings because the seller told me he buggered one up taking out the cam. I didn't know the block was cracked in 3 places around the lifters. The engine also had .040 over PROBE SRS forged pistons. It just so happens that my machine shop screwed up and bored the first block I gave them to fit a .040 forged piston instead of the .030 forged pistons I had purchased. So, I have this block sitting in the garage all prepped and ready to go. I'll put all the parts in that. I lucked out...measured the pistons and bores, and everything jives.

I was looking for rings today. I want a good file-to-fit ringset, but there are so many different options. Total seal alone has about 10 different flavors of rings to choose from. I imagine that there isn't one "best ring" for everything. What are the pros/cons to all the different types out there?

IMO the total seal rings don't work very well for street applications. A good speed pro file fit with the gaps correct will be fine. I don't think you will ever notice a 3 to 10hp difference when the engine is new and when it's got 30K miles on it the leakdown is about the same IMO.

If you have a round bore, ie. bored and honed with deck plates, then moly is the way to go for most applications. chrome is relegated to offroad applications IMO. Street use a regular tension oil ring. Drag use a low tension oil ring.

You can get a double moly ring set, which is moly faced top and second. I've used them before and they seem to work well.

If your not using a round bore then use cast rings.

Ok, I agree with you...and generally I use conventional moly rings. But here's the part that confuses me.

http://www.totalseal.com/TechPage.aspx#trGaplessPistRings

They list at least 10 different flavors of moly rings. Does is make any difference which ones I get? ...or do I just close my eyes and let my finger hit the monitor and pick whatever it lands on. I'm sure there is a reason behind them offering so many variations of the same basic thing, or maybe its all the same thing in different boxes. I only use total seal as an example....I'm sure Federal mogul, Speed pro, Hastings, and whoever else has a similar selection. Is it like choosing cheap beer at the store? Bud, miller, Coors, and michelob in a couple flavors each....they all suck about the same, but why do you choose one against the other?

IM forced to aggree! Ive used TOTAL SEAL ,GAPLESS rings in several engines, benefits were minimal over decent quality moly rings but cost was easily double, but a good quality moly faced ring, it the better value.

keep in mind HONEING the cylinder with the correct git and pattern and while use of deck torque plates are in use to simulate the stress of heads torqued into place helps seal

OK, it seams like you guys are using the term Total seal rings to include only the gapless type rings that they make. Total Seal also manufactures conventional style rings like everyone else. I am not talking about gapless stuff, I'm was trying to find the pros and cons off all the different variations of Moly Conventional type file-fit rings that are available.