HybridZ

Looking for P90 Valves

DeusEx

Hey guys

being in Australia this head is rare enough as it is, and now when i want to refresh it I'm having problems finding anywhere that stocks valves for it. Is there a decent US place that could make and ship them for less than $70AUD per valve (my avg quote)

Thanks

P-series valves are definitely shorter than the earlier Z valves; the suppliers are not providing complete information. They tend to only post what they sell, and if they do NOT have a given part on shelf.. they don't mention it.

I can confirm that the ferrea part numbers I posted are correct for the P90. They give the correct stem height when installed. There are a number of guys here that have used those valves in their P90 builds. If you do not want to spend the money on aftermarket valves, a used set from a P90 would do you fine, the stock Nissan valves for the turbo heads are very high quality material. If I was going to choose between stock and an SI stainless valve, I would choose the Nissan OEM valve. I used Ferrea valves because I wanted to go to a larger exhaust valve and the stock valves that I had were damaged by the previous owner....

Doug

If you do not want to spend the money on aftermarket valves, a used set from a P90 would do you fine, the stock Nissan valves for the turbo heads are very high quality material.

Doug

What about the earlier NA 280Z valves? what would your estimation of those be?

I ask because my plans are to use a shaved P90 head, and that is normally done with N-series valves to avoid needing to use thicker lash pads; I was planning on using stock valves but havent gotten around to researching the quality of those valves too much yet. Thus far my impression has been that they are acceptable as well, and im not asking for any more but say, 250, 300 horse?

If the stock valves are in good shape, they will be fine for 300hp. Nissan didn't really cut any corners in the L-series, materials-wise. Swirl polished, reduced stem diameter, backcut valves will be lighter and require lighter spring pressures, but for a street car - you aren't going to be twisting it to 8K for hours at a time.

As far as the longer N valves in the P90 head, I have no experience with that. You would reduce the thickness of the lash pads by around .100" on a reground cam (smaller base circle). You would have to do some mucking around with the springs and retainers in order to get your installed length and pressure where it should be.. Maybe BRAAP or someone else can chime in on this.

Doug

the details involved in using the longer valves in the P head were beside the point; I am FAR from getting parts together even. I just wanted to know if you meant to limit your comment on the quality of the valves to the later turbos, or not. I didn't think such a distinction was intentional and apparently, it wasn't.

Thanks for the info guys, and pardon the minor hijack.