HybridZ

VH45 swap help

rayaapp2

I am making a list of things to do before I dig into my next project. I have a complete 95 Q45 with a VH45de that is wrecked with only 41K miles. It runs fine but will never drive again. Since my 260z is the test platform vehicle I am pulling out the L28et and putting in the VH45 with the slushbox. I am hoping to stay in the same time bracket as the L28 turbo or faster.

I am trying to figure out how to setup my tach. Im a little confused as to where it will get its signal and how I will have to modify that signal for my tach. I dont see a speedo cable either so Im assuming the car has a speed sensor and I will be SOL without an aftermarket speedo?

Ive got a Fadal VCM20 CNC at work to play with as soon as I hook it up so Ive got the 3 mounts covered. Ive got the drive shaft covered locally for 180bux.

Im a bit worried about the oil pan and the cross member. Anyone have any suggestions or will the engine fit in fine? I think the hood latch area may have to be removed as well?

Im not totally set yet on this swap. I like my inline, Im just having trouble keeping it reliable cheaply and with the amount of boost it runs at. The VH45 should eliminate that problem. Anyone else notice that the VH45 tends to fail around 200K with bad rod knock? I am a bit conserned with that as well.

Ray

Yes the auto transmission had speed sensor no cable.

If you put the engine in properly it will fit btween the firewall and the steering rack, but you will have to modifiy the cross member and rack mounts. I had problems getting the steering shaft that leads from the firewall to the rack to join up. After allot of looking around a solution was found.

Another issue was the fact that the exhaust manifolds/header need to be in the same location as the frame rails. I had to remove them and build a seperate subframe to tie things back together.

This swap in an S30 requires allot of fabrication. See my site for some details on my conversion: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/563982

I dont see a speedo cable either so Im assuming the car has a speed sensor and I will be SOL without an aftermarket speedo?

Im a bit worried about the oil pan and the cross member. Anyone have any suggestions or will the engine fit in fine?

I think the hood latch area may have to be removed as well?

With the subframe I can leave the hood latch in place.

Im not totally set yet on this swap. I like my inline, Im just having trouble keeping it reliable cheaply and with the amount of boost it runs at. The VH45 should eliminate that problem. Anyone else notice that the VH45 tends to fail around 200K with bad rod knock? I am a bit conserned with that as well.

Ray