HybridZ

Registering my 280z

CalifaThugz

Hey I am currently working on a 280z and I am wondering about how to register it because it hasnt ran since the year 88 and I don't have papers for it nobody does. How would I go and register the car I have asked many people on my myspace but nobody seems to have an answer to my question. the car was burried in our old backyard only the roof was showing but surprisingly no rust at all.:P It was probably a murder vehicle ha ha.

Guest HBZ81

well first i'd say call the DMV and ask them. I've heard this question asked before and the only thing I can remember from the answer was it involved a lot of paper work

Why would you want to register a car that isn't even running?

So he can get it in his name and get insurance for it.

Califathugs, go to DMV with all the info listed above. You'll have to make out a "Statement of Facts" and then sign it--they have the form. After you have made a 'reasonable effort' to contact the previous owner for the title (don't worry, you just have to say that you did), the DMV will probably issue you a title for the car in your name. Now, that is the way it worked before, so go to the DMV and talk to them about it; I believe that's the way it's still done.

Make sure you register the car as a non-op so you don't have to get the car smogged until it's running. Your registration will be good for keeping the local police from towing it if it's in your front yard. A car with expired registration is usually ticketed and eventually towed in many cities in CA.

Davy

The only thing that is working on my car right now is... the only thing I can think of right now is the alternator. Brand new but thanks guys that really helps. I've been to the DMV couple of times but just yesterday I asked a woman and she said there was nothing I could do but I figured I would ask here because it looked like she was having a bad day. Thanks!

-Victor

Make sure you register the car as a non-op so you don't have to get the car smogged until it's running. Your registration will be good for keeping the local police from towing it if it's in your front yard. A car with expired registration is usually ticketed and eventually towed in many cities in CA.

Davy

In response to this paragraph. This is what I have run into with DMV on multiple occations. Non-op is not considered registration in California. Non-op does not allow you to park it on public streets. If it gets a ticket for no registration, then you are responsible for back registration fees and penalties.

Different California counties and cities have ordinances about non-registered cars. It depends on enforcement rules and neighbor complaints. Some counties, like Sacramento, have ordinances about even parking them in your driveway. It has to be out of site.

http://www.saccounty.net/planning/enforce/vehicle-abatement.html

Victor,

In order to get a title, chances are DMV will want to see the car to varify the VIN. They have been doing that for years. Every time I buy a car that was last registered over 5 years, it had to get the VIN varified. At one time it could be by CHP, Sheriff, or Police officer. Tomorrow I will find out with the 75 280Z I recently aquired. It was last registered in 1992.

I can say for sure you will not get your 280Z registered if it is a 1976 or newer without a smog inspection in California.

• Like 1

Now, this might be going out on a limb... um.. if someone went to the trouble of diging a hole int he backyard big enough to swallow a CAR.. well, maybe there was some reason for that.. I'm thinking stolen, involved in a crime (getaway vehicle maybe..?!?) or something NOT good.. you might be opening up a can of worms on yourself here man. Once the paper trail gets going, (which you're going to start, by asking questions and talking to the DMV) they might find something bad.. In that case, at best, you could simply loose the car.. at worse, you get dragged into whatever mess that car was in that got it buried in the first place!! Just my $.02 here...

Thanks stealth Z, Datsunlover I dug the car out 2 years or so ago everything was perfect. I was into Z cars long before I dug it up. When my parents gave me permission to dig it out I noticed on the front windshield the letters 280-z were appearing I was going nuts. So nuts I rented a tractor of some sort to dig it out for 120$ an hour. Even that took me a week to get out, but it was worth it so far. Absolutely no rust I took everything off. All the windshields were as if they were like new. The interior was flawless except for the drivers seat missing. I don't think anyone went through the trouble to making a whole and putting it there because it gets really windy up here and I left a pair of shoes outside one day and the next day I couldn't find them. They were burried under 2 feet of sand. Where the car was previously located it was like a mountain but it was like really dry clay. The tractor sometimes lifted up the front wheels when I tried to dig it in.