HybridZ

Starter Issue

Alright guys, after working on my car some and fixing various things on the 80' 280zx, im about to go start my car up and "click" from under dash and from starter solenoid. I know this has been addressed before but i can't find exactly what i need to know. Ignition switch is ok, took it apart and tested to no avail. Battery terminals are new, but just in case i retightened them and made sure they were making adequate connection with a tester. I put a wire across the solenoid and a screwdriver across the starter, and the starter turns and starts the motor just like normal. i was wondering, isnt there a relay or fuse that should be bad? i couldnt really find it in my book. I guess ill look again but any insight to this would be great. Thanks in advance,

Paul

When you put power to the solenoid there is a copper disk that gets pushed forward connecting across the back of the two big lugs on the solenoid. That sends power from the battery into the starter. That is exactly what you are doing when you bridge a screw driver across the two big solenoid lugs.

One of two things is happening. Either you aren't getting enough juice to the solenoid to fully energize it (thus it is not pushing the copper disk fully into the back of the two big lugs), or the copper disk itself is badly corroded and not conducting well enough to put full power to the starter motor.

Try running a jumper wire straight from the battery to the solenoid S terminal. If that makes things work then you have a bad connection in your ignition switch circuit somewhere. This problem can be fixed by adding a remote start solenoid (search on ford and/or remote solenoid).

If powering the S terminal directly from the battery doesn't work, then you need a new solenoid. You can also take the solenoid apart and clean everything up inside of it with some sandpaper.

No, it's the solenoid that releases the bendix and allows the starter to engage the flywheel. The solenoid has two tasks: 1 - bridge the contacts to send power to the starter motor. 2 - Release the bendix to allow the starter gear to engage the flywheel.

ahh ok, the only way it engages is if i have the + jumper connected to both that little tab by the 2 main lugs, and the bottom lug. Otherwise it just spins freely. Ive reconnected my fusible links because they looked questionable with no success. I have a few 30A relays. Is there any way i can wire one of these up to fix my problem?

alright guys thanks for your help. While looking at which wires to use for this relay i noticed that i could wiggle the lower terminal's wire around. I tightened the bolt up which was very loose, got in the car and it cranked right up. why the hell was that thing loose??? anyways, im happy that i didnt have to wire a relay. thanks again.