HybridZ

clutch cable

iceman2k6

i went to look at a 1978 280 the other day. i saw it before but at that time i was not ready to jump and buy it. but anyway i went back 2 days ago and between the 3-4 months its been sitting since i saw it the clutch cable broke or so i think. the car did work and i drove it up and down the drive way the last time i was there. but this recent visit the clutch didnt work. but my question is should the car start up without depressing the clutch and having the trany in gear. the car ran smooth and we did rev the engine.

also this is of topic but how bad is floor pans to change. the car need that and a piece if the radiator support also needs to be welded up where the identification (i think its the color code sticker it was plastic not metal like the vin) tag is. overall the car is solid but im still cautious he is asking $600 and the engine is rebuilt so i guess its not a bad deal. need brakes and tranny work. and some rust removal. just want your input.

ICEMAN

Z cars don't have clutch cables... they have hydraulic master & slave cylinders. The car will still start w/o the clutch pressed, but it should jerk forward if it's in gear.

As for floor pans & body work... it's never "easy" but the difficulty depends on your skill level.