HybridZ

Sr20det Z driveshaft shortening

Guest Jays280

Guest Jays280

Hi, I know this question had probably been asked a million of times, but I can't seem to find the answers anywhere. I'm new to the whole Z community and Im in the middle of a SR20DET swap and I just wanted to know, if it is really necessary to shorten the drivshaft for the SR tranny or can you just mount the engine fowrad a bit more without getting in the way of the sterring rack? Please help.

hi, i´, involved in the same swap too, and maybe i can clarify i little.

first if you forward a bit from the steering rack, your gear shift goes forward a bit more and no matches with the chasis hole. you need to modify a little the sterring rack for match the gear shift with the chasis.

i used a sr20det s14 240sx european model with 5 speed tranny, i used a hlaf of the original s14 240sx driveshaft(the first part, is the part that exit from the tranny) and then i made a coupler for match with the original 240z differential(in short future i want to fit the s14 240sx lsd differential).

but it´s ok for now.

if you want i can send you pictures of this. send me your email via mp.

i hope this helps.

Hey fellow SR-Z friends :). Heres how I went about my Sr20 driveshaft install. Luckly enough a buddy just got an SR that still had the yolk attached to the trans (as mine did not). Prior to installing the SR I got to work putting in my 4.11 R200 in

. So now I used the yolk from the SR and the shaft from a Z31. Took pics of the mesurements and took that to my local 4X4 driveshaft shop. They welded me up a real nice and balanced shaft for $90 :). It looks like a freak'n axel its so damn short. So yes. you really need to cut and have it welded. This was one of the easier fabrications of the project.

driveshaft3.jpg

driveshaft2.jpg

driveshaft1.jpg

Hope this helps anyone out there.

Guest Jays280

Hi again, i dont know how this forum comletely works yet so i dont know how to send my email to you VIA MP. But I would still like to get some help with the measurements. sorry but the dely.

Guest Jays280

Thanks a lot you guys. now all I have to do is find a reputable driveshaft shop in the area I live to get it shortened. The drivshaft is short enough as it is so I can imagine how short it will be when its shortened.

• 2 weeks later...

It's more of a custom thing as how you mounted your engine will be different from another person unless you got premade mounts from someplace and found someone else who used them and get a measurement. Just break out a tape measure unless. If figuring out how long of a driveshaft you'll need maybe this swap isn't up your alley. Just my .02.