HybridZ

Rebfurbing fuel tank

texis30O

I found someone here in town to recondition my fuel tank and line it to keep it nice and clean. I am going to be out about 225. Anyone else had this done?

This was the last weak link in my car. I have fixed all other problems as far as the motor is concerned. When we dropped the tank it sounded like a empty soinic cup of shaved ice inside....I guess I should have checked it out before I paid to get the carb rebuilt the first time.....( stupid learning curve...)

Next up....brakes....then fill the Nitrous bottle.....

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had my tank refurbished on my 1978 280Z. It cost me $115. The tank was boiled in caustic soda for two days to clean all the junk and crap in it. It is whistle clean now and looks brand new. I also just finished painting it and also re-furbishing the straps and bolts.

As a by the by, my guy was not a fan of lining the tank and cutting open a perfectly good tank, as he has seen liners collapse and fail over time - just a thought.

I'll post a few pics up soon.

Yasin

That is a good investment. You won't have to worry about rust issues for a long long time, if ever. Still use a good inline filter between the tank and pump. as for liners failing, yes it does happen. I believe it is a result of inadequate prep and/or poor quality liner material. Most rad shops that provide this service have their reputation on the line and will only perform this on a viable tank with a quality liner material. I used an inexpensive liquid liner on a steel tank for holding water. It flaked continually until I finally replaced it with a custom aluminum tank...problem solved.

Over the last few years I have taken several gas tanks down to a radiator shop for “boiling†out. Never paid more than $75 per tank, so I wonder what you are getting for $225?

I had one of the gas tank sealers/liners come off and it clogged the fuel feed line, ruining a perfectly good tank. Because of this, I would only recommend using a liner if you have to seal up any small rust pin holes.