HybridZ

tps vs map vs map and tps

Matadem

My MS1 v3.0 should be here tomorrow

I've been reading and searching everything I need for this project

what are the pro's and con's of a car with MS installed with tps only or map only or map and tps?

in a turbocharged aplication?

Thanks

yeah, and if I can hijack a little, can I run without a TPS altogether. I have done some searching over on msefi.com and didn't really find the answer I wanted. I don't really want a TPS on my 454 supercharged setup for aesthetic reasons, maybe I'll just put a potentiometer on the pedal assembly. Anyone tried no TPS? Do we have to have it for flood clear?

Well, since you can switch everything to something MAP based, maybe you can wire a switch (momentary) and resistor and use that as a fake TPS. Just push it down when you want to enable flood clear mode.

I liked MAP based because my throttle is really touchy and sometimes the car would buck a little. Switching it to MAP based stopped that.

Mario

• Administrators
can I run without a TPS altogether.

My MS experience is admittedly limited. I understand that MS will allow using Map-Dot for accel enrichment. I haven't personally tried this with MS, but I have with Wolf3D. It works fairly well. Albeit not perfect (and dependent on cam(s), filter rates, TB, plenum, etc) but certainly do-able.

Other possible omissions are (as you mentioned) clear flood mode, data logging, fuel cut, and auxiliary functions (potentially significant).

• Administrators

what are the pro's and con's of a car with MS installed with tps only or map only or map and tps?

in a turbocharged aplication?

'TPS only' is often referred to as Alpha-N (TPS + RPM). It works well with NA, hot cammed engines, as erratic idle can cause erratic manifold pressures. Sometimes a restrictor is enough to 'calm' the pulses.

HOWEVER, in a turbo application, straight Alpha-N doesn't work. This is because a given amount of TPS doesn't correspond to a given load. In other words, A TPS, used as a load sensor, can't tell the difference between 1 psi and 20.

This is where blended mode comes in... some systems allow Alpha-N to be used below a threshold, transitioning to MAP, above.

yeah, and if I can hijack a little, can I run without a TPS altogether. I have done some searching over on msefi.com and didn't really find the answer I wanted. I don't really want a TPS on my 454 supercharged setup for aesthetic reasons, maybe I'll just put a potentiometer on the pedal assembly. Anyone tried no TPS? Do we have to have it for flood clear?

We are running Megasquirt with no TPS on our Miata. It works fine, but a TPS does give you more tuning variables. There isn't much of a flood clear option without one, but you only need that if you flood the engine. We're using a resistor to stabilize the voltage so it doesn't climb into flood clear mode on its own.

A turbo application must use a MAP or MAF sensor. Normally you don't need to blend in alpha-N controls on one unless you're running a huge cam. But the TPS is nice for acceleration enrichment.