HybridZ

L28ET in Europe

Gareth

Hey,

I bought a rare Euro-spec 240Z a year ago, and I'm currently restoring it to better-than-new condition. After reading this forum for a year or so, I decided to upgrade the suspension with polybushes, custom Bilstein struts, H&R springs, new stabilizer bars (= sway bars in the US?) and strut tower bars for front and rear. Also, my friend wants to sell me a set of S14 4-piston front calipers and 2-piston rear calipers. Even thought the car will have a stock engine for a while, I opted for a custom rollcage to be fitted, just to make the body a bit stiffer. I'm also searching for a R200 LSD unit, but I don't know if I will find one here in Europe.

After I get used to driving the car, the stock engine might not be enough for me. I know that it's a lot of time before this happens, but I want to plan things in advance, just to be sure if I'm thinking right.

After reading the forums, I thought that the most reasonable option for power levels up to 300 flywheel HP would be the 280ZX L28ET, which should be a drop-in replacement for the factory L24. I know that there might be some problem sourcing the right tank from a fuel-injected 280Z, but there's still a bigger one - I don't know where to source the engine from.

Unfortunately, we Europeans didn't get as many 280ZX turbos over the 80's as the US clients did. This means that I won't be able to source a donor car just like that, from around the corner. Now the main question is: does anybody in Europe have a clue where can I find either a complete 280ZX parts, or a L28ET drivetrain, along with the R200 differential? A few days ago I've called a guy in the UK, who was selling some 280ZX parts, but, unfortunately, he only had NA motors...

I hope I won't get flamed, because I've read the whole forum, made a ton of searches and created a realistic (I think) plan. Thanks in advance!

Tony

You can use the 2.8 from a NA car, use a thicker head gasket to drop the C ratio. F54 with flat top pistons p90 head and a 2mm steel head gasket would do the trick. You can buy the exhaust and inlet manifold from ebay, I've seen quite a few on there. PM me if you need to know anymore details. I'm in the UK.

Thanks for the info - as far as I know, all ZXs came with the F54 block, right? Does HKS still make the 2mm head gasket? I'd have to import a P90 separately. For the HP goal I would like to achieve, the stock cams should be alright, so maybe I should search for a hydraulic P90A head? I'd like to use a set of forged pistons, just for safety - I've seen too many blown up engines lately. Are there any aftermarket T3 flange cast manifolds available for the L28? And is the non-EGR N42 inlet manifold better than the factory P90 design?

You could go with an n42/n42 and 2mm gasket gives you a cr 7.8:1 with dished pistons. don't use the hydraulic p90a go for p90 with solid lifters if you go that route. Cast pistons are ok as long as you keep things cool and don't let it pink(knock) stock manifold is good for 400hp. N42 NA manifold is good also. I have a spare p90 and n42 head here.

Oh, since Frank 280ZX is sitting across the living room from me right now going "where is the guy?" I suspect his laptop will be blazing away an answer, if he hasn't already hit it up!

Flying home Monday....

I do have l28et's but there is really no point if you want mucho power.

In that case i would make sure that you keep the rods in your 240 engine and order some forged pistons. a p90 head can be found on all 82+ NA cars in europe and on some model laurels.

LSD's are on more cars over in europe than in the US. i pm'ed you

Gee, I never thought that I'd receive all the answers I've been searching for. Cheers guys! Frank, the L28ET may be a bit pointless if I'm searching for something that will hold only 300HP, but then again I don't want to make a mess from my original engine after I make the rebuild now. While transferring the turbo parts may be easy, I'm afraid that the fuel injection could be a problem if I was to install it in a originally Hitachi-carbed L24.

I know that I could only change the head, injection stuff and pistons, but I'd like to keep the factory engine as original as possible, in order to drop it straight in if anything happens to the L28.