HybridZ

What kind of turbo do I have? Downpipe?

Can anyone tell me what kind of turbo and downpipe I have? I got this downpipe from another member who assured me it would fit up with what I thought was a stock 83 ZXT even though it was off a different Z, but from looking at the two pieces (See below), I don't see how they could fit together...

490585558_eb5112c77e_m.jpg ! = 490601273_c54b8a7005_m.jpg

Is it possible my motor doesn't have a stock turbo? Or did I just get sent a downpipe that won't fit? Or am I just way off base here?

Sorry I don't know enough to figure this out myself, I'm new to this turbo game.

This is the info I was provided, so I guess based on what you've said is that it's a 300ZX turbo downpipe, which won't fit on my 280ZX turbo....

"Ill put it this way, I ran a T3 from a 300zx turbo and I only had the 300ZX downpipe. I was going to buy a 280zxt downpipe but I test fitted the unit and it fit great! I ended up going with a diff turbo so I changed that out obviously.

A Nissan T3 is a Nissan T3 so it will definatly fit."

So.... anyone have a downpipe that I can buy? I'm trying not to buy a nice expensive one until I know the motor runs, then I'll start buying expensive parts.

The turbocharger definatly looks like a stock 280zxt. I know for a fact that a downpipe from a early 300zxt (84-86) will fit. However, a later 300zxt (87+) I have no idea, but I'm guessing that is where your problem is. What kind of downpipe do you want? If all you want is the crappy stock cast iron one I could probably find one for you.

All I'm looking for right now is a crappy cast iron one (that will fit my car ;)) so I can try to get the thing running for a bit. Once the car drives and lasts more than a few minutes, I'll be doing performance work. Intercooler, downpipe, etc, but also suspension work and the like.

Wait a minute... I just realised another possible problem.

Did you first try to remove the wastegate housing from your turbo? (the very part in the picture) I believe there are about 5 bolts holding it on. THEN try to bolt on that 300zx downpipe!

No I haven't tried that, though I can definitely attempt that tomorrow, from the looks it might actually fit. Good call

Yes, like I said I know for a fact the early 300zxt DP will fit, but it DOES require the old wastegate housing to be removed. It should work for you just fine then. Just be careful not to break any bolts!

from your pic it looks like the member sent you the downpipe with the turbo rear cover still attached. Hard to tell from that angle. Never the less, I have a zxt turbo downpipe if you need it. I just went custom with t3/t4.

Chris you have to remove the wastegate housing on the T3, then attach the downpipe.

Should go Turbo, wastegate housing, downpipe on the 280zx setup.

with the 300zx downpipe the order is Turbo, downpipe.

The 300zx downpipe has the wastegate housing and downpipe built into one.

330795_134_full.jpg

330795_140_full.jpg

330795_141_full.jpg

330795_205_full.jpg

330795_206_full.jpg

Im not ripping ya off Chris =) it fits trust me