HybridZ

Just for warm fuzzies.

Astral Ace

I am about to buy an '84 maxima. The person I'm buying it from says that I can get the motor and the 5 speed from it, and it'll swap right over into my '73 240z.

I just want to know if it's that easy, will it just swap right in? No other parts needed? What if I want to use just the tranny, will it connect right to my motor?

Check the shape of the oil pan carefully. I have been told (by a gentleman who owned a used Japanese engine outlet) that there are differences of some sort in oil passages Z to Maxima. I can't recall the exact details, and don't know of it applies to all years with the I6. I'm guessing the oil pump isn't in the same place. IIRC, he said a Maxima block could be drilled to use in a Z, but have no idea of the difficulty.

HTH

<>

No, It will not fit as is. The maxima is a front sump W code block, the oil pick up is in the front along with the dip stick. The W code blocks and F/N code blocks have the same oil passages with the exception of the oil pickup location. If you use the W code block you will have to drill out the remainder of the oil pickup so that you can use the rear pickup location thats cast into the block. You will also have to fill in the front pickup, drill out the dipstick location and fill the old one on that as well. Considering the almost free nature of L24-L28 NA blocks, I wouldnt consider it unless its new rebuild.

That information I do not know for sure. My initial thought is that yes, the tranny will fit just fine when you use the Z car bracket BUT it may be a different gear ratio. Now since i'm not 100 percent sure, I probably wouldnt listen to me. :lol: I think if you search Zcar.com you will find your answer (if you believe the tech info on that site)

Bump. I need to know, my tranny is starting to suck...