HybridZ

Rota Grid wheels - opening up the center

I bought a set of Rota grid wheels from the group buy a few months ago. I'm getting ready to put everything together and (like I was warned) - the hub-centric portion of the wheel hits the front wheel hub (67mm ID wheel vs. 72mm OD hub). Most people are running spacers to "fix" the clearance problem.

Because our wheels are lug-centric - do you think there would be a problem with busting out the die grinder and cutting some clearance for the front 2 wheels (to avoid running the spacer)? I'm sure that the center part of the wheel isn't structural - and there will be plenty of "meat" between the lugs and the new - opened up hole. After all - we are only talking about taking off ~3mm of radial clearance. Thanks for your opinions!

I would tend to think that it would be OK. Especially since the material removed is from the center of the wheel, and shouldn't cause any weird ballance problems, like it would if it was further out on the wheel. I would check with a machine shop though, I am sure they wouldn't charge too much just to mill out a little from the center. That IMO would be the way to go.