HybridZ

which transmission?

ok guys, heres the deal. my 71 is a 4 speed car. i like shifting gears. t-56's are expensive. but my 4l60e needs rebuilt. should i convert the z and rebuild my 4L install paddle shifters (ie shrifter), or spring for the t-56? i plan on building the car for some serious power down the road. any opinions? lol, anyone want to trade a t-56 for broken 4L? j/k:burnout:

Isn't the paddle shifter setup and a rebuild of the 4L60E going to run you about the same price as a T56?

I agree with Pete, I'm running a stock world class T-5 behind my LT1 and haven't had any problems yet. A G-Force T-5 or a TKO would be a good option.

Wheelman

at high power levels, the 4l60 is a pile of crap too. The T56 can handle more power than a stock or even most aftermarket/hipo rebuilt 4l60s. If you are looking for a good tranny and you are drag racing, get a th400 and be done with it. But if you like shifting gears, a T56 or a tremec TKO should be in your future.