HybridZ

piston ring advice needed

So i will be using a super charger on my 383 build . Im going with the stock bore size 4.000 using a sbc 400 crank and the forged rods that were with the engine when i bought it 6 inch i believe . Oh its just to save a few bucks and ill be keeping it under 6,500 rpm .

Anyhow ive been looking at Total seal gapless rings kind of costly but what im wondering is there another ring out there i can use that will work decent with a supercharger . Ill only be running 7 lbs of boost . If need be ill fork up the 300$ for gapless rings .

Jason

Id skip the gapless rings I don,t feel the gains are worth the added expence, Im currently running thier gapless second rings in my 383 and the gains are minimal from the standard moly rings they replaced on my last rebuild, a good quality ring of standard design, and gapped correctly in a properly honed cylinder, cost less than 1/2 the cost and does the job about 98% as well, the total seal rings are better but not enought better to justify the cost increase unless your determined to get every available hp, frankly Id spend the cash elseware in the engine and gain more power or relieability

So i guess a chrome molly ring or something of that nature would be good ? The person working on my block also mentioned two ways of honeing the cylinder walls . But he figured seeing that we could still see the cross hatching from when the engine was built a ball hone would be ok .

The only reason im thinking gapless rings is i had 10-12 % ring blow by before i tore the engine down . Should i hve the block bored for a tighter fit ? The cylinder walls measure to spec dead on 4.000

Jason

Say grumpyvette where is loxahatchee fla . Im from melbourne fla my self lived there 22 years then moved to colorado in 1999 .

http://www.totalseal.com/TechPage.aspx#trGaplessPistRings

I remeber my builder going through a few extra steps with them...including the "fairy dust" haha! If you do go with them, Avoid synthetic oil until they have seated. Going on 6 - 7 years(?) and my valve cover breathers are still bone dry, no blowby. Some say they create more vacuum, casuing a slight rich hook in carburetion at high rpms, remedied by larger high speed air bleeds, need less total timing, some have issues with drawing oil past the stem seals.... Seems like claims either way are usually inflated.

Fairy dust eh sounds nice heehee . Eh i never run synthetic oil i tried it once on a newly built engine it just reminded me of places that didnt get as sealed as others gasket wise .

Well i wont need vacuum as ill have a blower on my 383 but so far it seems this is the way to go i think ill give total seal rings a shot what the heck .

Jason