HybridZ

Tt Ls1 240z

I have already started posting pics of my project in the members project section because I didnt know that people couldnt post any replies. I would like to know if people have anything to say. This is my first build so any; advice, criticism, etc is welcome. Plus I am starting on the LS1 part of my build because I just got my donor car so i will be posting here. 2001 Camaro SS M6.

camaroSS006.jpg

camaroSS001.jpg

camaroSS003.jpg

camaroSS002.jpg

Is it easier to just pull this motor and trans from the bottom?

Is it easier to just pull this motor and trans from the bottom?

I have read on fbody.com that you can pull it out through the top without cutting anything but it would not be easy. Biggest issue I saw was how to bolt on the cherry picker since the engine sits so far under the cowl. That depends on how much of the car you want to salvage. I did the same thing with a 94 Z28. The front clip on mine was pretty useless since the car took the big hit right at the windshield post. I cut out the radiator support and much of the cowl to get better access for the cherry picker lifting bolts. Dropped the exhaust, disconnected the engine wiring from the chassis wiring and took off all the hoses. It lifted out very easy after that, transmission and all. It was much easier than putting it in the 280Z.

donor-top.jpg

If you want to remove the engine from the bottom, this book has step-by-step instructions. But since the procedure requires a car lift, it is probably useful as a reference for your mechanics if they have never removed LS1 from an f-car. It is a good book on LS1 by the way.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-High-Performance-Chevy-V-8s/dp/1884089844/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-4885725-2776110?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179211016&sr=8-2

If you want to remove it from the top of the engine bay, Haynes Repair Manual has a short description of the procedure. The engine is seperated from the trans first, then hoisted out. I still recommend you get this book because you need general overhaul procedures and torque specs, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Haynes-Chevrolet-Camaro-Pontiac-Firebird/dp/B0002KKR1U/ref=sr_1_2/102-4885725-2776110?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1179212445&sr=8-2

If you want to remove the engine from the bottom, this book has step-by-step instructions. But since the procedure requires a car lift, it is probably useful as a reference for your mechanics if they have never removed LS1 from an f-car. It is a good book on LS1 by the way.

I just got that book, looks like it has great tips and how-to's. I am doing all the work on this project myself and I do have a lift. So through the bottom it is.

The way ive seen the local ls1 shop do it, is unbolt the front cradle/subframe and lift the car off of it. Seems to go pretty fast they had it done in about 30 min, ofcourse they do it all day everyday and they had about 3 guys working on it.

Guest Firebat

If you take the radiator, the front engine accessories then should be able to get it out from the top. I don't know if you'd want to drop it from the bottom considering what condition the car is in. If you're not going to sell the front frame, there is always the sawsal method(cut the frame).

Why twin turbos? You can get just as much power from one and save on the cost of two. Also, less weight and less space with one.

Why twin turbos? You can get just as much power from one and save on the cost of two. Also, less weight and less space with one.

I want as little turbo lag as possible so thats why I want to run two small turbos instead of one big one. Pluse the closer you can get the turbos to the exhaust valve the hotter they will be; the more efficient they will be. It is hard to place a single turbo really close. Money isnt really an issue so I dont want to comprimise on anything just cuz its cheaper. Im not saying that a single turbo is a bad setup I just think that a twin is going to be a little better for what im looking for.