HybridZ

260z - Tokico gland nut assembly question

Hi guys....

I just bought a 74 260z (vin 041118), and included with the purchase was a complete set of Tokico struts and springs (new and still in the box). I've seen the warning post, but wanted to see how they fit-up anyway. I dismantled the front strut assembly and inserted the new BZ3015 Tokico strut into the strut housing. When I went to install the Tokico large nut (I think it's called the gland nut), the nut's thread diameter was too small (47mm dia) for the strut tower's mating thread (50mm dia). My 260Z is an early 260z (pre-1974 1/2) which calls for the BZ3015 strut. However, I noticed that the later 260Z and 280Z get a different Tokico front strut (BZ3012).

I know there are a lot of guys with this Tokico set up, I'm just wondering if anyone has run into this nut installation problem. Is the strut tower diameter different from early Z's to late Z's? I'm hoping that all I need to do is some how get a different Tokico gland nut (the one for the later model Z's), as the original Datsun gland nut doesn't work with the Tokico strut. I can't return the struts/springs due to no receipt, so I'm hoping this is a simple fix.

Any suggestions or comments welcome. I was going to contact Tokico on Tuesday, but wanted to hear what you guys had to say. Thanks. -Rod

-----------------

1974 260Z, gutted and awaiting JTR 350 SBC conversion.

The 240 strut tube is a smaller diameter than a 280's. I'm not sure about the 260s though. Do yourself a favor and call tokico USA directly - speak with somebody in tech support about it and they will gladly send you out a set of gland nuts (probably free of charge).

Make sure the nut on the top of the strut actually threads onto the top of the strut shaft... mine didn't and tokico next day'd me some new nuts free of charge.

Thanks for the prompt response...sounds like I've got the gland nuts for the smaller 240Z and need the larger 280Z ones. My 260 must be right in the middle of when they switched strut diameters...I'll give Tokico a call on Tuesday (I doubt that they're open Memorial Day).

I'd like to confirm your last statment, though. My understanding is the gland nut 'slides' over the strut and screws into the strut tower. Are you saying that the gland nut actually screws onto the Tokico strut, because there are no threads on the top of the Tokico strut housing. Thanks again. -Rod

From what I understand the early 260z were the same as all 240z, and the laters the same as all 280z.

But, that being said. These cars are 30+ years old, who knows what they have been through and who has needed to replace what suspension pieces.

Guest TeamNissan

Ya, I have tokicos on my 240 and didnt run into that problem, the gland nuts included worked no prob. Is there alot of space in the assembly? Maybe they were tokicos for a 280 and not a 240/260?

There is about 1/8" all the way around between the Tokico strut and the inside of the strut tower. The top of the strut housing is pretty much flush with the top of the strut tower. Sounds like I have the gland nuts for the early 240/260, and need them for the later 260/280 cars.

Second question...the instructions say to fill the cavity between the strut and the tower with a 'light' oil for heat dissapation. What oil do you guys recommend. When I took apart the 30 year old original strut, it smelled more like gear oil than motor oil. Thanks again...Happy Memorial Day. -Rod

I called Tokico this morning, and apparently I have the larger diameter strut tower. My manufacturing date on my 74 260 was 7/74, which is right on the bubble of when Datsun switched to the larger diameter tower. Anyway, according to Tokico, the small gland nut is a 48mm x 1.5, and I need the larger 52mm x 1.5 gland nut. Unfortunately, no freebies...they directed me to the local dealer in my area to order some.

Thanks for all your help..-Rod

I ordered my gland nuts from shox.com. I think it was $26 shipped for 4 of them.

The gland nut screws into the top of the strut housing. I wasn't talking about the gland nut in my previous post - I was talking about the nyloc nut on the very tip-top of the strut "piston" - about an M12 or an M14 thread. The nuts that came with mine were the wrong size. I called them and they sent me out some new ones.

Dang, I could have saved a few bucks. Got mine for $8 each today from the local Tokico dealer. -Rod

I'm now interested in how the springs look when I re-install the front suspension...hopefully not the same condition noted in the sticky warning post on the main page. -Rod

----------------

74 1/2 260Z, gutted and ready for JTR 350 sbc.

There is about 1/8" all the way around between the Tokico strut and the inside of the strut tower.

Rod,

This kind of freaks me out. The strut should fit close, alomost snug, to the inside of the housing. I think you should put another call into Tokico to make sure the space you have is OK. My concern is the bottom of the strut will flop around inside the housing during hi forces like cornering.

As far as oil in the housing I didn't add any, but actualy put a small hole in the bottom of the housing so water would not accumulate inside the housing. There is no seal at the gland nut to keep stuf out or in. Not sure it is cool but that is what I did.

Paul

Don't worry... the 240s fit super-tight. Search around and you'll see people with Koni shocks in a 240 sanding the paint off of the outside of the insert body in order to make them squeeze into the strut tube. The 280s have a lot more room - hence the ability to add fluid around them. I had a friend machine some spacers from aluminum that capture the bottom of the strut - and also space the insert the correct distance from the bottom of the strut tube. I'd take a picture, but my brilliant wife recently destroyed our brand new $500 digital camera:mad:.

Most people just cut a length of exhaust tubing and call it good.