HybridZ

can you feel the HEAT???

hi guys,

first, let me say how HOT it is here in kuwait now, it's around 45C and in a couple of weeks, it will hit the 55C range that's maybe 130F :(

my poor Z has a cooling problem since i'm still running my 302 Ford with the stock Z Radiator, i need your advices to get a good radiator that would help me cool my 500Z, i saw alot of radiators on jegs and summit's sites but not sure what size to go with!!

thanks

P.S. did alot of searchin, but didnt find a good answer to my question

I think more than size you need better air flow. I'm not sure what the difference is in flow rates through the 302 radiator and whatever radiator they used for the 500, but my main concern would be getting a good electric fan on there to keep the air moving. Although I didn't see too many places in Kuwait that required slow moving or stopping, however I didn't spend much time in the larger cities either. :)

I found a 19x24" griffen aluminum radiator for $180 from Summit. Its about the biggest thing I can imagine fitting in the Z. Its about 3 inches thick, and should do fine. I learned a lot about engine cooling from my old VW GTI. I was able to double the engines horsepower without upgrading the radiator...and it worked once I figure out how. You have to keep a thermostat in the engine, don't take it out. While it may solve one problem, it will cause plenty more. You can also make a stock radiator much more effective by ducting it. Build a 2 or 3 inch box around it and mount it to the front, maybe even angle the sides of the box to make it like a funnel. A 19x24 radiator has a surface area of 456 sq/in. If you make a funnel on the front of the radiator, and angle the sides so that the frontmost part is 20x25, you are now taking advantage of 500 sq/in worth of air, thats almost 10% more air going through it. Air will take the path of least resistance, so once air gets near the radiator, it has to be forced through the radiator, instead of letting it leak around the sides, top, or bottom. On my VW, I made a box out of 3 inch wide sheet aluminum, with no angles, just straight forward, and it dropped my water temps on the track by at least 20 degrees, and kept it there as long as the car was moving.

when is your car getting hot....idling, sitting in traffic around town or when you're running it hard?

thanks for all the info, i was thinkin about the griffin rad but wasn't sure if i can mount it without problems or not, about the thermostat, all fords dont have thermostat here in kuwait, the first thing we do is to remove them out for cooling issues,

my car runs hot when i'm crusing without stopping, didnt drive it hard since my clutch is brand new. so if she's running hot when i'm crusing i dont want to imagine how it will be if it sits without moving or when i'm flooring it.

Well, my experience is that removing the thermostat will only make it warm up slower, but the temperature keeps rising. Removing them is a band-aid attempt to fix another problem IMO.

either way, make sure that any air near the radiator gets channeled through it, and you'll probably lower your temps considerably.

I would re-install the thermostat but look for a high flow. I thought it might be a good idea to remove one once (Phoenix AZ easily over 100* quite often here) it only over heated. I have seen a significant benefit to using the high flow model however.

45C is 113F.

54.4C is 130F

45C is still very hot but a long way off from 130F.

Consider installing some side vents in the fenders. Getting the hot air out of the engine compartment is the key. A V8 and a fatter transmission will tend to block the air.

Also a t-stat is a must along with a tight fitting fan and shroud.

Pyro, now it's 45C because the summer hasn't started yet, in july, august, it will be 55C, last year the highest temp recorded was 59C :(

well i ordered a 160 degree high flow T-stat along with the water pump and radiator, a shroud??? not sure i'll be ablt to install one since its really tight between the fan and the WP pully.

A mechanical fan needs a shroud. Kind of like shoes need laces.

I guess you will need to run an electric fan. A ford taurus fan is a good choice.

I recently helped a friend do a V8 conversion and the mechanical fan didn't work so good because the shroud didn't fit very well. So, we decided to make a custom shroud. But in the mean time, he installed a ford fan and it works great on the single core alum radiator. However, only have run it during 90F ambient and it pulls a lot of currrent (20+ amps).

We also also looking into installing side vents to get the hot air out of the engine compartment. Your hood helps at idle and low speeds but once you start to drive fast, air is being force down into the engine compartment which makes it hard for the fan to blow hot air out of the area.

hi guys,

Flow Kooler high flow water pump/ 160degree high flow thermostat/ griffin 24*19 radiator were ordered today :-) should receive them here in kuwait in 5-7 days :-)

thanks for all your help guys

hi guys, parts received today :-)

i took everything out of the car except for one Water pump bolt :-(

this thing is stuck, i tryed everything but i cant remove it. i'll be trying again today, and than i'll install all the new stuff :-) but still i have to fabricate mounts for the radiator.

Guest TeamNissan

wow 130? I need to get my butt over there lol, my kind of weather. Water wetter is AMAZING if you cant get it there and still want it drop me a pm and il send you some.

hahahaha no you dont wanna be here, its no bodys kind of weather, 130 and sand storms :)

well, i'll try to find it here in kuwait, i know that there is a parts shop that might have it, if not, i'll let you know :)

thanks alot

Guest 280ZForce

make sure you DO NOT mount that alum radiator solid, you need to mount it w/ rubber bushings in between the radiator and any metal is may touch so it has some play. Mounting it solid could warp/crack it and cause corrosion.

JTR has some nice radiator mounts you could make use of... depending on the thickness of the core and the tanks I'm sure you could make it work.