HybridZ

DOHC heads on a SOHC block?

I recently acuired a SOHC VG30 in a trade and I've had a set of DOHC heads laying around for awhile now so I was wondering wil the DOHC heads bolt to the SOHC block without too much machine work, dowel pins I can deal with but do the major holes line up? I would just go look except my heads are in Nebraska and I'm in Virginia, anyway I would really appreciate any help or input from anyone who has attempted this.

cough SOHC better cough :D

The SOHC VG can make more power than most need and I believe is more reliable than the DOHC VG... not that I wouldn't take one... just that I'd put my money into an SOHC VG first. Cheaper, lighter, can make more than enough power, a little more reliable... what's not to love? :lol:

I didn't realize that the SOHC could make more power than the DOHC, I was thinking 4 valves a cylinder why not? I think I might supercharge the VG, I've an older Procharger laying around I got off a mustang guy that has been begging me to use it ever since I put it on the shelf, I think that might be a cool setup a supercharged VG in a '72 Z, it's either that or a 421, I really do like the idea of a VG though at least it has some originality and it's lighter too boot.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it can more power than the DOHC... but its definitely not a slacker. Electramotive made a GTP car powered by a VG30ET, stock head and block casting, making upwards of 1,200 hp (some claim 1,200, some claim 1,000... either way) with the qualifying setup and around 900 for the race. There's also a guy running a VG30ET (I think twin turbo though), running 7's in the 1/4. Cesar Febus if I remember correctly.

I believe the highest power seen on a stock internal VG30ET has been 700 hp. Probably didn't last very long but I know of quite a few people making 400-500 whp, many that daily drive them as well.

Stock block to stock block the DE-TT can safely handle more power. But all the guts interchange. you can run a DE-TT rotating asy on a SOHC VG30E and all the aftermarket parts interchange.

A well Built VG30DE VS. a well built VG30E would both be close in the HP & TQ department, The DE would make more power but you would have less money in the E

My heart is with the DE-TT I just love the way they sound, and the way thay pull up into the high RPMS :D

The only thing I'd use from a TT would be the rods. Unless you really mess something up, you aren't going to break the VG30E(T) crank, regardless of it being cast. Piston wise... I wouldn't personally use TT pistons as they'll put you at a lower compression ratio than rated due to the combustion chamber of the VG30E(T) being larger. You can get custom pistons made for very reasonable rates anymore if you want an extreme build.

The DE(TT)'s do sound damn sexy though. I was very surprised by the sound of my DE, it just sounded awesome when running that thing to red line.

I am seeing this build come together now TT rods, Wiseco pistons, Isky turbo cams, my Procharger. Yep I can definetly see myself getting in trouble which is always a good place to start. Thanks for the info on the VG motors I really didn't realize the DOHC and SOHC were so comparable and even if the DE can make more I've got the 30E so why not use it.

the dett rods are quite a bit heaver than the et rods so you will need to get the rotating assembly ballanced. if i were building an et i would go with a set of aftermarket rods and pistons. i have a vg30det and im using eagle rods and wiseco pistons. im shaving a lot of weight doing so the stock det rods weighed 756 grams +/- 2gr eagles roughly 600gr, stock pistons 414g-wiseco pisons 330g. pins for both were about 125g. if your going to have to ballance the crank anyway why not loose weight with stronger parts? if yor going to be spendig the money go lighter. if i could ever get my gaskets in for this thing i just might get it put together one day. lol been waiting since thanksgiving for intake gaskets for it.