HybridZ

Carb Linkage

I searched about a month ago for a way to hook up my carb linkage, but didn't have much luck. Thanks to some PM's and pictures from BARACU (thanks again, Al :cheers:), I got mine done. I'm making this post in case there are others looking for a way...

I did find some posts of people cutting holes in the firewall, attaching a clevis pin to the top of the gas pedal, etc....... I was looking for an easier way.

Basically what I did was use the factory bellcrank and attach a throttle cable to it.

The two parts I purchased were:

Lokar 24" stainless braided steel throttle cable LOK-TC-1000HT $36.95 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=LOK%2DTC%2D1000HT&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Lokar throttle cable bracket with springs LOK-SRK-4000 $20.88 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=LOK%2DSRK%2D4000&N=700+0&autoview=sku

I started by removing the bellcrank arm, and drilled out the inner ball from the bottom. Once I got the ball removed, I hooked up the Lokar clevis pin to the bellcrank arm. Next, I made a bracket out of 1/8" plate (heated and bent in a vise) to bolt to the firewall and support the throttle cable (I used the factory bolt holes that held the factory throttle arm). After securing the cable to this bracket, I mounted the carb bracket and linkage, then cut the Lokar cable to fit.

DSC03188.JPG

DSC03187.JPG

I'm very happy with the way it feels. I had to move the gas pedal stop (on the floorboard under the pedal) down a couple of turns to get wide open throttle, which ended up being a good thing. I was worried about the pedal being too sensitive, but the pedal "throw" is actually a little longer than factory.

Oh yeah, please excuse the dirty firewall :icon50: .

I bought a cheap immitation of a Lokar cable that is too long. That was a mistake! It was so cheap that it had no instructions. I wasn't able to come up with a method to trim it that I was willing to try since I wanted to take the Z for a test drive!

In your opinion, what is the best method of cutting both the cable and the outer sheath without fraying them?

Thanks,

Paul

Basically what I did was use the factory bellcrank and attach a throttle cable to it...

Nothing wrong with using the factory piece. The car is already set up for that and your solution was pretty elegant. The simpler, the better. Nice :2thumbs:

Davy

In your opinion, what is the best method of cutting both the cable and the outer sheath without fraying them?

Thanks,

Paul

Sorry I'm so slow responding, been working out of town and the last 2 hotels didn't have internet :cuss: .

On the Lokar....the braided wire slides into a collar (follow the braided part toward the carb until you see the collar). I just removed the inner cable, removed the braided hose from the collar, put black tape over the area I wanted to cut, and cut the braided wire with some snips. Then I slid the braided wire back into the collar, put the inner cable back through, and cut it to length. I did have to work with the braided part a little bit to get it back into the collar though......mabye better tape would have prevented this? It still wasn't hard though.

Wow I like it. No one has done this before? It's soo straight forward and simple. Did I mention that I liked it?

Thanks everyone for all the compliments. I'm sending all the credit to BARACU though (real name is Al). He PM'd me some pictures of his car, which is done this way, so I could do mine.

v8dats and SpeedRacer, very nice....and clean too. And thanks for the pics.

The real reason I did this thread was because I had trouble finding pics of how others hooked up their throttle cables (I'm sure due to my lack of searching skill :hs: ). Now theres a recent thread for anyone scratching their head like I did.