HybridZ

what's going on here???

i have two 73z's (one manufactured 9/72 and the other 12/72)

i'm looking for new replacement front break rotors

i've been to every auto parts store i can think of (checker, autozone, BAP, napa, etc.) and they all list a different sized rotor for the 73z then what is on my car

since i have two cars with the same rotor i'm assuming it's a stock part and not some sort of weird custom thing

the hub of the rotor off my car protrudes 1&1/2" from the rest from the face of the rotor

the ones the auto parts stores have told me fit my car have hubs that protrude approximately 1&1/4" from the rotor

can someone give me some insight on what's going on here and point me in the right direction for finding the part i need?

thx in advance smile.gif

This was one major skew-up (IMHO) that Datsun did to ruin standardization. The important thing in the differnent rotor/hub combos was that when bolted together, the TOTAL ASSEMBLED offset of the rotor to the wheel mounting flange is the same for all years. For some reason Datsun changed the hub flange thicknesses throughout the production run of the Z, and in order to make the total "assembled offset" the same for all years, they had to change the rotor offset to match the change in the hub offset. Makes for some fustrating situations.

thx blueovalz smile.gif

i guess there isn't a way to obtain the stock "screwed up" rotors for my car, huh?...

so does this mean if i get the rotors i'm finding locally i'd need to change to a different hub (the part that holds the wheel bearings) to maintain the total offset

if so, do u know a place to get new/good used hubs

also, how do i identify one hub from another?

and do the different hubs use the same wheel bearings and seals?....

or, is there a special modification (ie. adding spacers, machining) that u've heard of that works?

thx again for the wisdom!

Bearings and seals will all be the same. With any spacers you will need to take into consideration the placement of the caliper, which will be the same on all Z struts. Fortunately in your case, a 1/4" spacer seems to be a good fix to place the rotor back into alignment with the calipers. And if you are good at fabrication, I'd attempt to make a couple of rings made out of 1/4" sheet (be it aluminum or steel) to be placed between the rotor and the hub. But before you do this I'd consider all parts houses first, and try to get the matching rotor for those already on the car.