HybridZ

240Z traction problems

This is my friends take on DOT drag tires since I don't have the experience he has. He runs a supercharged mustang that has enough power to twist a stock axle (8.8) with a set of MT ET streets.

For ultimate traction, Mickey Thomson ET streets bias ply. The downside is they don't mix well with radials up front. The car starts to wander on the top end.

BFGoodrich and and Mickey Thompson radials were close but you will not get much mileage out of them either, about 2-5 thousand miles depending on how much you light 'em up.

Nitto drag radials not as much traction as above, but he got almost 10 thousand miles off of them.

His results didn't totaly suprise me. It always seems like you give up traction for mileage.

This is my friends take on DOT drag tires since I don't have the experience he has. He runs a supercharged mustang that has enough power to twist a stock axle (8.8) with a set of MT ET streets.

For ultimate traction, Mickey Thomson ET streets bias ply. The downside is they don't mix well with radials up front. The car starts to wander on the top end.

BFGoodrich and and Mickey Thompson radials were close but you will not get much mileage out of them either, about 2-5 thousand miles depending on how much you light 'em up.

Nitto drag radials not as much traction as above, but he got almost 10 thousand miles off of them.

His results didn't totaly suprise me. It always seems like you give up traction for mileage.

Thanks for the above information.

I have some extra 14" mag wheels, and I want to purchase some drag tires for those wheels. They will be used for drag racing only. I have 16" wheels and tires for the street. The wheels are 6" wide. I could and would purchase a new set of mag wheels for the drag slicks if needed to fit under the wheel wells. It has a Th700R4 trans. I will look into purchasing a 4.11 posi gear, or weld up the spiders for better traction.

240zv8 (638 x 480)_thumb.jpg

For drag racing only. Then get MT drag slicks. But you will need to get some 15 x 8 rims.

I bought a set of centerlines for my V-8 Z. They measure 15x8 with a 2 inch offset (5.0 inch back space). This pushes the tire way under the fender so a set of 26x8's will fit without rubbing. However, if you are using the stock springs in the rear then you will need to move the perches up 2.5 inches as described in the JTR V8 coversion manual for tire clearance.

Drag slicks last a long time at the track. I got about 50 runs out of my set and that included a good burn out with a brake line lock before each run. Drag radials don't like burn outs with a line lock. I burnt a new set of drag radials down in one burn out!!!

If you decide to buy the 15 x 8 with a 5'' backspacing, a Hossier quik time pro will be a good tire too, I am running a 26 x 9.5 on stock struts with the eibach lowering springs.They ocationally rub when two ppl are in the car.I have not rolled my fenders though...When running at the track, the Stock LS2 clutch gave up, so tracktion was really good..

Just a good tire will not make the car hook .. you also need the right suspension as well... a good tire will help alot over a street tire.. as for drag radials nothing beats the mickey thompson drag radials .. we run low 8 sec passes on them ... the et drag slicks with low pressure float around at top speed .. kinda stinks .. the drag radials do not and you can enjoy them on the street .. but no 14 inch rim sizes.. the only drag radial for the 14 inch rim is bfg drag radial in a 215/60/14 or a 225/60/14 they work well but not as good on life of tread...

Just a good tire will not make the car hook .. you also need the right suspension as well... a good tire will help alot over a street tire.. as for drag radials nothing beats the mickey thompson drag radials .. we run low 8 sec passes on them ... the et drag slicks with low pressure float around at top speed .. kinda stinks .. the drag radials do not and you can enjoy them on the street .. but no 14 inch rim sizes.. the only drag radial for the 14 inch rim is bfg drag radial in a 215/60/14 or a 225/60/14 they work well but not as good on life of tread...

Thanks all of you for this great information. I just got off the phone with Summit, and they also suggested the BFG 215/60/14 drag radials. I set my car up for high speed road racing, (silver state race)eibach short springs, adjustable shocks, large sway bars, 22 gallon fuel cell, and it has Goodyear 215/60ZR16 Eagle GT tires now. I should replace the fuel cell with a 5 or 10 gallon unit. If you weld the spiders on the R200, how does it affect the handling on the street? It would be nice to get a 3.90 or 4.11 posi unit, but I have no idea where to get one. I could buy a nitrous setup to boost the hp to around 500, so do you think the BFG's or the MT drag slicks would be best for this setup? How about the R200 holding up? I am taking the car to the transmission shop to replace the torque converter to a 3000 rpm stall. I would like to be in the low 12's with a goal of high 11's sometime in the future. (Larger engine). I made one run last weekend and it did 13.1 at 107 mph. spinning the tire. I was beaten by a Mustang... with slicks, he was in the mid 12's.

You don't wanna try a welded diff on a road .... they do no tlike turning ..lol mine i swelded and as long as you let off the gas it will turn but any gas at all with a sticky tire pushes the front .. it works great on the drag strip .. you will also get a real annoying vibration with the welded diff unless you have the carrier balanced after it is welded.. and mine is welded and it is only fun to drive in a straight line .. well that and the rain ..lol

Maxtor ... where are you located

Thanks guys;

I will look for a lsd unit, because I do like to drive around and want to take it to some ZONC events. I ordered the BFG's yesterday from Summit, and they are on backorder. They say they will be in around the middle of July.

We are in Redding Ca.

Thanks again

Maxtor

With 215/60R14 BFG Drag Radials mounted on some 14X6 wheels my 302/240Z cuts low 1.6 sixty foots with a best of 1.59 at Irwindale. This is with a welded 4.11 R200 which is a pain to drive anywhere but going straight. Tirerack.com has the tires in stock for $112 which is cheaper than Summit.

http://images115.fotki.com/v667/photos/4/42437/4197285/IMG_1509-vi.jpg

With 215/60R14 BFG Drag Radials mounted on some 14X6 wheels my 302/240Z cuts low 1.6 sixty foots with a best of 1.59 at Irwindale. This is with a welded 4.11 R200 which is a pain to drive anywhere but going straight. Tirerack.com has the tires in stock for $112 which is cheaper than Summit.

http://images115.fotki.com/v667/photos/4/42437/4197285/IMG_1509-vi.jpg

Thanks for the information;

But I already ordered the tires from Summit. I also called our local auto wreckers to find a 1984-86 200SX for a posi r200 differential, and they told me that there was not one in seven states. :-(

I really do not want to weld the stock R200. I might buy another r200 and have it welded and change it out during drag racing season, then change it back for road racing season, and everyday racing. That would be a pain, so I hope to find a lsd r200 with 4.11 gears. I am going to call our local datsun dealer and see what they have. List plus 300% I am thinking.