HybridZ

For those that love the old school stuff...(I inherited lots of cool old stuff!)

OlderThanMe

My grandparents used to live at our house but then my grandfather died at 94 years old several years ago. My grandmother is still living in a nursing home nearby.

Anyway we have been sorting through all of the stuff trying to get rid of as much as possible. When I went through this vintage 40's dresser (that I am keeping!) I found this load of awesome stuff!

Three cameras from the WW2 era.

Kodak Video camera:

Produced somewhere from 1938-1942 (world war 2)

This one actually works but you can't buy the special film for it any more.

I also have the original manual for this camera thus drastically increasing its value.

z95254310.jpg

serial number thirty two thousand something. Patent from 1938. Somewhere I have a picture of my great grandfather holding this camera on a ski lift. (He was literally a millionaire in the 20's, then the crash hit in 1929. He was wealthy again but never back to even close to what he was. I wish some of that would have stayed in the family :rolleyesg)

z95254699.jpg

The Kodak 35 Picture camera. Produced in 1942 (world war 2).

This camera should also work with some cleanup. I may try to buy some 35mm film and see if it still works once I clean up.

z95235005.jpg

The lens:

z95236200.jpg

Patent for 1942. It uses Kodak "135" film. I think this is the same as regular modern 35mm film.

z95236847.jpg

Some sort of developing canister

z95233592.jpg

A very cool little gadget from General Electric that measures the light and tells you what settings you should use on your camera. It still works great. I used it to set up my digital camera for some pictures and it is really good!!! I am guessing it is from the 30's to 40's as well.

z95237828.jpg

Also have some tripods. The one on the right is an Eastman Kodak model and the other one has no markings.

z95237200.jpg

The Ampro video camera:

I do not think this one works. It also needs some special sort of film cartridge that isn't with the camera.

Notice the "Lifetime Guarantee"

z95234294.jpg

z95235726.jpg

The settings:

z95233176.jpg

Serial number 3583. That is a VERY EARLY serial number...

I have no idea of the production date on this one.

z95232383.jpg

Unrelated...

This radio is from the other side of the family. It has tubes inside(they glow!) and it also works great!

I listen to the AM talk radio stations with it a bunch.

Also have a couple 50's Coca-Cola bottles... :-D

m49934457.jpg

Internals of the Kodak video camera.

m95259770.jpg

It used a 16mm wide film that you would run through once and then turn it around and run through again. Kodak would get your film and slice it right down the middle and paste the two 8mm film strips together. VERY COOL!!!

And the owners manual.

b95259516.jpg

Larry,

Thank you sir! That would be way cool!

There is also a GINORMOUS stamp collection down there. Like THOUSANDS of stamps!

Some from the mid-late 1800's!!!

I don't know who is getting it though.

I'm sure some of this stuff is really valuable!!

I love old stuff like this!

I have an old Kodak video camera as well, but I think it's from the 60s.

I also have a "new old stock" Sears shortwave tube radio. It looks awesome, but sadly it requires these huge massive batteries to run and about a 50 ft antenna that you hang on your roof (weird huh? battery powered but not really too portable).

I also have a am/fm/phono tube radio from Mexico from the 50s I believe. I'm slowly restoring it, it was my grandfathers'.

I also was given a programmable Fisher turntable from the 70s, but it needs work as it can't turn smoothly, and today I bought an old direct drive kenwood turntable for $10! It's pristine!

Looking to either buy and restore an old tube amp to go with them or build my own.

Mario

I love old stuff like this!

I have an old Kodak video camera as well, but I think it's from the 60s.

I also have a "new old stock" Sears shortwave tube radio. It looks awesome, but sadly it requires these huge massive batteries to run and about a 50 ft antenna that you hang on your roof (weird huh? battery powered but not really too portable).

I also have a am/fm/phono tube radio from Mexico from the 50s I believe. I'm slowly restoring it, it was my grandfathers'.

I also was given a programmable Fisher turntable from the 70s, but it needs work as it can't turn smoothly, and today I bought an old direct drive kenwood turntable for $10! It's pristine!

Looking to either buy and restore an old tube amp to go with them or build my own.

Mario

Mario, That is cool!!! I am "borrowing" my mom's turntable... We have a bunch of 35s with random stuff. We have an original Elvis 45 but it won't play. This turntable doesn't work for the smaller ones.

You have some pics? I'd like to see your stuff!

Wedge,

Cool! That is what I'm thinking! I want to hang on to them!

My parents want me to sell this stuff to help pay for college but I'm going to hang on to at least the Kodak cameras. The Ampro 8mm "Three-fifty" seems rare as I can't really find much about it on the web.

Not sure though.

If I could find a source for some film for the kodak videocam I'd buy it up! As long as it isn't OVER expensive...

Somewhere we have some videos that are on VHS that were transferred from the Kodak camera showing my Dad running around at like 5 years old. I didn't know they were from this camera until today.

I want to see other's old stuff too!

I love this stuff!!!

Nice Kodak 35 OTM! When I was in Paris I picked up a totally manual (no batteries) 35mm SLR camera from the early 60's made by a Russian company called Zenit. Mine is the E model. It's got like an oven timer-style self timer. It takes pretty good pictures. The lens has a threaded body instead of the more modern 1/4 turn quick release style. Oh, for the record, the end of WWII happened in 1945, not 1942.

I'm stupid... Thanks for the correction Max.

I like that there are so many people with old cameras and other cool stuff!

280zwitha383, WOW! that is awesome!

This one isn't in the greatest of shape unfortunately. The radio is on a little tray inside the cover and it just sits in there. It also doesn't have any knobs. Fortunately the knob off of the 80's radio that was in my Z fit perfectly on there.

I talked with my expert and he said your first picture is a Regular 8 camera. You used a 50ft film and exposed 25ft first and then turned it over in a changing bag that allowed no light to the film and then you'd shoot the other 25ft. He said to shoot a picture of the camera and owners man. together and put it on e-bay. There are collectors worldwide of Kodak products. Also get in conntact with the George Eastman museum in Rochester Ny. The other camera stuff should go on e-bay also.

LARRY

Larry,

Thanks! I think I'll hold on to the Kodak videocam for a couple years at least unless the value is sky high which I sort-of doubt.

Any idea on the value of these? The windup mechanism works pretty good on the videocam. I was suprised!

What is cool is that I went to the Mr. Eastman's house back in 1998. Very cool place.

I'll try to find out as much as possible about this stuff before I decide to sell it.

• 3 weeks later...

Found more camera stuff on a top shelf!!

The flash unit is in there with the bracket to mount it to the Kodak 35...

WOW!! And the fact that it still has the box! Unfortunately the box is taped but still!

There is also another light meter inside the box as well!

b98505900.jpg

I also found a "Robert Burns" book of scottish poetry...

FROM 1835!!!

Many "seminary" books from the late 1800s to the late 1930's.

neat stuff, man!! I have a modest collection of old stereo gear, and a triple beam balance made in Amsterdam that has to be at least forty years old, if not more. My old man has a couple of old cameras, and we have several VHS tapes that have the contents of old 8 mm cameras like that one "video" camera (it feels wrong calling it a video camera when its using film) dating back to my grandparents wedding which was in the late 30s. Amazing stuff, we youngsters just dont think about the concept of home movies being around until at least the 60s-70s, but its been around almost as long as cameras have been, if you had the money. These days it has just become utterly ubiquitous, and we are all jaded to it; back then, it was a matter of finding someone you knew with a movie camera and inviting them to your wedding :mrgreen: