HybridZ

MS and power transistor?

himself

Actual I was wrong, i am connecting ms to the distributor, so it will control my spark. I originally had to add the power transistior because the 82 turbo distributor would not send spark to the plugs.

i am afraid to connect he MS to the transistor, should go ahead and connect pin 36 from MS to neg side of the coil anyway?

Actual I was wrong, i am connecting ms to the distributor, so it will control my spark. I originally had to add the power transistior because the 82 turbo distributor would not send spark to the plugs.

i am afraid to connect he MS to the transistor, should go ahead and connect pin 36 from MS to neg side of the coil anyway?

OK. STOP. PUT THE WIRING DOWN.

This info is in the sticky, and in the DIYAUTOTUNE install page for the L series. According to your other post, you opted for the coil driver mod.

The + on the coil goes to a switched 12v line, the - goes to pin 36 in the MS box according to here:

http://diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

READ READ READ! I blew the ignition part of my MS unit on my first install because I wired it up wrong the first time... Double check everything.

Mario

OK. STOP. PUT THE WIRING DOWN.

This info is in the sticky, and in the DIYAUTOTUNE install page for the L series. According to your other post, you opted for the coil driver mod.

The + on the coil goes to a switched 12v line, the - goes to pin 36 in the MS box according to here:

http://diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

READ READ READ! I blew the ignition part of my MS unit on my first install because I wired it up wrong the first time... Double check everything.

Mario

Thanks Mario, he was starting to confuse me...lol

I have read that post, printed it even and know which wires go to the MS and the 12v. The only difference is that my coil does not run by itself, it has a stock power transistor as mentioned in the wiring schems of the manual. If take the transistor out the spark is not powerful enough to start the engine. Here is the wiring schem from the manual for the coil.

Coilschematic1.jpg

What I would like to know is do I run a negative lead from the coil to the MS unit or from the transistor to the MS unit? Or do I not even need the transistor anymore b/c of MS?

Sorry for being counterproductive there Naviathan, I thought you were talking about using MSnS which I do not have the code for, I have just a standard MS 3.0.

Sorry for being counterproductive there Naviathan, I thought you were talking about using MSnS which I do not have the code for, I have just a standard MS 3.0.

So you have a fuel only MS-I? Then you won't be triggering spark with your MS. You will be simply pulling an RPM signal from the negative post on the coil. You would need to use your stock ignition system or get something like an MSD to control yours. Now I'm really confused...