HybridZ

85 300zx 305 swap

Guest gbreezy29

Guest gbreezy29

hello all,

My 300 zx jumped time and ate all the teeth off the timing belt and subsequently bent valves and gave me an excuse to swap a v8. I initially wanted to do a rb swap, rb20det or "lord willing" rb25 or 26 dett. Financially the 305 is much more accomodating to my budget. I'm getting it from a 86 camaro z28. anyone have any words of encouragement or words of wisdom before I take the plunge.

hello all,

My 300 zx jumped time and ate all the teeth off the timing belt and subsequently bent valves and gave me an excuse to swap a v8. I initially wanted to do a rb swap, rb20det or "lord willing" rb25 or 26 dett. Financially the 305 is much more accomodating to my budget. I'm getting it from a 86 camaro z28. anyone have any words of encouragement or words of wisdom before I take the plunge.

Is the V8 fuel injected?

I would strongly urge you to use something other than a 305. They're slow, amazingly slow. A 350 can be had for about the same price, and aside from making quite a bit more power stock, has much more potential for performace than the 305.

If its the TPI motor, HP/Tq is 190/285

If its the carb motor, HP/Tq is 165/250

I'll bet with iron heads, it probably weighs 300lb or so more than the VG30.

Having personally driven carbed and TPI 305s, I think these numbers are a little on the "wishful" side. To me, driving a 305 equiped car is akin to driving an Automatic Tercel, without the gas mileage. I just pulled a carbed 305 out of a '67 camaro (dunno who put it there in the first place) and it was shockingly slow. I couldn't make one tire spin around a corner. I spend 4 hours trying to figure out whats wrong with it before yanking it for the swap, just cuz I figured that yeah, its a 305, but it can't possibly be this bad...but it was.

On the bright side, you won't have to worry about breaking anything.

A 305 will move your car around nicely. No, it won't be maximum fast, but "amazingly slow" it won't be. If a 305 is what you have, and you're ready to go, do it; later on, if you want, you can drop in a 350. After all, actually putting the engine in place is one of the simpler aspects of a swap, it's all the other "stuff" that takes the time. Replacing one V8 with another identically sized one will seem like child's play after you complete all the other details of the swap.