HybridZ

I want to drift

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

yeah thats right, i've decided to build the 240 to be a drift car. I just ordered coilovers camber plates. BUT if i want this car to be a strictly drift car, what spring rates would be good, and what size sway bars would be good? I want to get sideways! any suggestions would be super. I guess my question is how would YOU tune your suspension if you wanted to be a drift car.

You want neutral steer to drift, plenty of power helps if the back is reluctant to come out because basically you steer with the accelerator.

After x years I'm still working on it, but we'll get there, if my balls are big enough

tongue.gif

Guest Thurem

How bout a massive rear swaybar and some really stiff springs. That ought to induce some oversteer. Maybe even some positive camber. you might end up with an evilhandling Z, but you could get it wide around any streetcorner.

bonk.gif Thure

My school's sports car club has drift days following out autocrosses, and I don't have much trouble going sideways (...or spinning out, depending on how far I push it :rolleyes: ). I've just got a mild L28 and the suspension listed below. You would think a massively stiff rearend would ease driftability, but I guess that isn't the case with IRS 'cause I couldn't get it to go sideways at all with the back full-stiff (and neither could my friend who is a real crazy drifter in his Miata). With reduced rear tire pressure and the shocks set to 2 (almost full soft) the car is pretty easy to either clutch-kick or feint sideways. Now, holding it there is the challenge, a LSD would help greatly. Power steering wouldn't be too great an asset I don't think, I usually just initiate the drift and let the steering wheel snap to whatever it needs to hold the drift, then I grasp it and either try to aim the car or come out. It's pretty difficult to describe and I'm not all that good yet, all I can say is DON'T TRY IT ON THE STREET!! Try it out in an empty parking lot at least until you have some idea of how to aim the car and come out from being sideways. If you're anywhere near Clemson, SC come to our next AX/drift day events! You can watch and learn a lot in just a day.

Hm. Maybe everyone else is. I don't have enough room anywhere to get to "high speeds" so I can't say if a Z is good/bad for that. Basically, you can do the type of low-speed stuff I described in just about any RWD car, or FWD/AWD if you snatch the handbrake (that's almost never worth it for FWD'ers from what I can tell, in an autocross anyway). I'm not crazy enough to do it on a public road. Sorry if I confused anyone.