HybridZ

Eliminate VC vent hose -Get Smoke?

Ever since my MS-II install, the car has been smoking more oil. Mostly I notice it under high vacuum, idle, downhills...typical of valve guide/seal leakage. I am not the least bit surprised because it has 130K miles on it.

My question is WHY did it get much worse after installing the MS-II and reworking some of the breathing apparatus of the motor?

Here is what I changed:

-No more factory EFI

-Valve cover is now open to atmosphere through a small K&N filter.

-Eliminated EGR valve and EGR.

-Eliminated factory IAC or thing on the intake manifold.

-Eliminated all ports on the intake top.

-Injectors/Fuel Rail/Fuel injection system.

Here is what I did not change:

-Block vent still connected under the intake to the PCV valve.

-Engine still idles at 19in of vacuum.

Could the fact that the crankcase being not under vacuum anymore allow more oil into the valve guides? Can I just connect the valve cover vent to the intake manifold to re-create the vacuum in the block it once had?

I was considering using a slash tube in the downpipe for vacuum generation under load but what about NOT under load like going down hills under full vacuum?

Now I'm starting to sould like Baaaastaad525....remember his posts? :-)

I'm getting the same problem!!!

At first I was smoking a lot but it was caused by me running way too rich and washing down my cylinder walls. Once I leaned my car out a bit it was OK, but I think I toasted the turbo due to contaminated oil... It still smokes.

This car never smoked before I blew the headgasket. I know it's not rings because ALL the plugs were oil fouled, and not valve guides because vacuum is dead set at 18 in Hg.

I wonder if this is the same problem with mine, and wasn't before because my intake and exhaust weren't sealed up fully...

If you want to connect it, it has to go either before the turbo (always vacuum there I think), or use a check valve and connect it to the intake (so as to not pressurize the crankcase), or run one of those vacuum generator tip things that go in the exhaust (they've been covered here lots).

Hmm... I'm gonna try reconnecting mine to before the turbo tomorrow...

Mario

Dave,

Have you pulled the downpipe on the turbo? Pulling it and looking into the turbo with a flashlight is good insurance to prove the turbo isn't leaking oil on the exhaust side. I checked everything before looking at the turbo, going so far as changing valve guides before finding oil in the turbo. Expensive lesson learned.

Joe