HybridZ

strange sounds from valvetrain

oinojo

hey guys, ive been having this problem. My car idles perfectly, however... when i give it throttle there is a knocking sound. At first i thought it was my valve lash so i adjusted it. Now that its adjusted im still getting the same sound. I know what bent valves sound like at idle but cant explain why it is doing this only on throttle. Any help/advice would help. Thanks

• Administrators

As for your problem, could be a number of things. Here are just some examples…

Pinging/detonation.

To verify, first off unplug your vacuum advance from the distributor and plug the vacuum line going the throttle valve, and retest. If it still makes that noise, then with a timing light, back off ignition timing approx 5 degrees, (retard the timing 5 degrees from where it is currently at), and retest with the vacuum advance still disconnected.

If it is burning lots of oil, that will cause the detonation as well. Fix the internal oil consumption issue.

It could also be the timing chain slapping against the chain guides and front cover. That is usually a result of insufficient oil pressure to the chain tensioner and/or chain tensioner rubbing block and/or guides are destroyed/missing.

It could be a rod bearing with excess clearance, i.e spun bearing. Or a collapsed/busted piston skirt allowing piston slap. Depending on the severity and amount of load being applied, either of these will be quiet at low load such as idle, but will knock/rattle as throttle is applied. If under wide open throttle, if it sounds as though someone is building a house under your hood, just turn off the key, open your check book and commence sobbing, unless you have a spare engine laying around.

Your problem could be a number of other things as well. We really need more detailed information to help accurately diagnose without actually being there to see and hear this for ourselves.

As for your problem, could be a number of things. Here are just some examples…

Pinging/detonation.

To verify, first off unplug your vacuum advance from the distributor and plug the vacuum line going the throttle valve, and retest. If it still makes that noise, then with a timing light, back off ignition timing approx 5 degrees, (retard the timing 5 degrees from where it is currently at), and retest with the vacuum advance still disconnected.

If it is burning lots of oil, that will cause the detonation as well. Fix the internal oil consumption issue.

It could also be the timing chain slapping against the chain guides and front cover. That is usually a result of insufficient oil pressure to the chain tensioner and/or chain tensioner rubbing block and/or guides are destroyed/missing.

It could be a rod bearing with excess clearance, i.e spun bearing. Or a collapsed/busted piston skirt allowing piston slap. Depending on the severity and amount of load being applied, either of these will be quiet at low load such as idle, but will knock/rattle as throttle is applied. If under wide open throttle, if it sounds as though someone is building a house under your hood, just turn off the key, open your check book and commence sobbing, unless you have a spare engine laying around.

Your problem could be a number of other things as well. We really need more detailed information to help accurately diagnose without actually being there to see and hear this for ourselves.

thats exactly what is happening. At low load there is little to no noise and the car idles fine. But when theres load it basically sucks... whats weird is that it comes and goes, but as of now 70% of the time it does this anywhere over 2k rpms:sad: