HybridZ

Easy Options for Front and Rear Disk Brakes

Guest thinkmonkey

Guest thinkmonkey

I want to at least upgrade the front braking power on my 240, and possibly put disks in the rear. Is it possible to move the front brakes to the rear and install 300zx disk upfront or am I delusional?

-David

Guest Anonymous

David .. the hot rear setup is using a 240 sx rear disc that allows the use of the stock emergency brake SCCA or Ross C sell the caliper bracket to do this and a Toyota 4x4 front calipers is almost a bolt in. You could probably "Jerry Rig" a front z caliper in the rear but..... the 240 sx is painless and good looking. Ya just need green backs. No easy options as I see it but I am still looking/ I have considered offsetting a flat Maxima Bracket but still do not know if the 240 sx will mount on the Maxima bolt holes, a fellow put some front Sentra's on the rear of a Z as a race car.Do some research on here.

I just paid for my rear disk swap, $375 plus shipping, not including the calipers themselves, which I paid $50 for from a friend. I think this is totally reasonable, considering the cost of the brackets themselves, the pieces for the braided lines, the carbon fiber pads, etc. Total it's cost $455 including shipping which isn't such a bad deal. Hell, you get a great looking bracket, great pads, a modern caliper with e-brake, and Brembo rotors. I'm starting to shop for my front brake upgrade from MikeSCCA right now.

I bought the rear brackets from Ross C at web page and just painted them yesterday: ricer yellow!! 2thumbs.gif They are VERY sturdy and looked great, but being raw steel, I knew they should be coated with something, so yellow caliper paint, here we come!

Davy

The cheapest (arguably best?) route for the front on a STREET car is the setup that Terry (Blueovalz), Pete P, and Scottie GNZ (used to) have. It uses the Z32 4 lug vented front rotors with 280zx floating calipers on your scalloped 240 hubs. You need to reduce the OD of the rotor by ~ .25" then just drill the strut tube for the mounting bolts to pass through since they thread into the caliper on the ZX instead of the strut tube like the Zs. I bought Ross rear brackets and will do discs swap when I do the CV swap (as soon as my turbo ZX parts car comes through) and will do this same swap to my 240 in the front. Remove all proportioning devices from Nissan and run an aftermarket prop valve (~$40).

Originally posted by Nion:

I just paid for my rear disk swap, $375 plus shipping, ..... $455 including shipping

Hehe, keystroke error bud, it was $405 shipped out yesterday, can't have everyone thinking it costs me $80 to ship to my US buds ;) Another $50 would've had you a beer cooler,....brake fluid...and some brewskiez cheers.gif

Yah, sorry if my numbers seem weird, I was factoring the $50 for the calipers, $455 is the total price of everything... $375 plus $30 shipping from you, Ross, and $50 for the calipers. $455 total. Sorry about any confusion.

BTW, I don't think any of you will be disappointed if you go with Ross' rear disk brake kit. I haven't even received the package yet and am already very impressed with the prices and the effort he put into filling my order. He gave me a very professional quote and had the package in the mail the day after I placed the order. This guy really is doing us a service, he is creating products for a very small number of people and the dedication he has is great. Ross, please don't think I'm cheating on you by looking at Mike's front brakes :cool: I haven't seen any info on yours.

Wow - Ross - I love those brake set-ups. Do you have a ballpark price for the front wheel set yet? Since I have a '77Z I assume that I would also have to change out to a ZX master cylinder and add an adjustable proportioning valve?