HybridZ

Autometer Water Temp Adapter

I'm switching over to autometer phantom guages and currently have the Temp wired to stock sender. When cold the phantom guage reads about 160F so I'd rather use the included autometer sender, than fool around with calibration of the sender with resistors.

Does anyone recall the thread sizes or part number of the adapter for the autometer sender to fit into the T stat housing?

Thanks.

100_1112_thumb.JPG

• Administrators

If you are using the original Autometer sending unit for that gauge, you shouldn’t have to recalibrate it with resistors unless you are trying to adapt some funky non Autometer sender to your Autometer gauge. On the Autometer web site, (I linked what I believe to be your gauge below), your gauge should’ve come with the sender and 2 bushings. The Sender is 1/8” NPT, the smaller bushing is 3/8” NPT and the larger bushing is 1/4” NPT.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2629&sid=7

Thank you both for your fast answers. It would appear to require an M16 x 1.5 to Autometer sender adapter as the most expeditious fix for the problem. This data came from searching the archives of other datsun boards, but the autometer web site contradicts this:

http://hp.autometer.com/techtips/faq_tech_writeups/metric_adapters.html

This is for the electric autometer 2 5/8 phantom conversion. I'm going out to pull the actual sender in the car to size it now. Will report back. This is the sole sender on a L24 thermostat housing I'm trying to replace. 72 240z.

And yes, that is the correct phantom gauge.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2629&sid=7

thanks

Edit: I pulled the unit from the car and it's identical to one I have on the bench so I'll figure out what the thread is and post back for reference. Now I have to tackle the L28 oil pressure outlet, which has been written about before, so it shouldn't be too tough. It appears for oil it requires the BSPT -> NPT adapter and stock water sensor is definitely Mxx x 1.5 but I don't have a size gauge handy now so it'll either be M16 or M14 and strangely, I have neither bolts nor nuts in those sizes.... seems like every other size tho.

For the 1/8" NPT senders, I usually just drill another hole and tap it. Every tap set I've ever seen comes with an 1/8" npt tap. If you're quick...you can do it without loosing to much coolant. You need two drill motors though...one to drill the hole, and one to run the tap in and out, then thread in the sensor.

thank you all for your help, my water temperature saga is coming to a close. I ordered the auto meter M-16 x 1.5 adapter, which got me down a size but is intended for a water temperature gauge that's mechanical. This is for a capillary tube set up.

I ran in circles for a few days trying to adapt this mechanical pressure fitting to a electric sender that auto meter supplies with the gauge. Unable to find anything that would fit that size, and about to capitulate and drill a hole in the thermostat housing, I stopped by Napa, and they had a pressure fitting that was double end threaded.I simply chopped off one threaded end, drilled and tapped the rest of the pressure fitting to 1/8 size and screwed that into the auto meter adapter. so far no leaks, fits well, and looks okay. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't understand why this is so difficult, because it seems like going from metrics to aftermarket gauges would be a common event. Most people looked at me and scratched their heads.

• 1 year later...

Bringing back an old thread. I did some digging and found the exact adapter needed, as I had an aftermarket temp sender with 1/8 npt threads. The following link has the M16x1.5 to 1/8 npt adapter (part number R7964), along with others, that are for electric temp senders. Price is right and it worked great for me. Hopefully this will help someone down the road.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Metric_Adapter_Bushings&Manf=All