HybridZ

LT1 oil pan choices for 280Z and JTR

I searched and found where some people are using the Canton oil pan but in 280ZX's and plenty of discussions on other motors. My oil pan bottom is crushed and I was going to replace it but I figured why not go for more capacity. I mean more is better right? But before i put down $250 for a Canton LT1 oil pand and a new pickup tube I thought I would check here about clearance issues anyone has, I am using the JTR setback and the Sanderson headers and a T56 will I have exhaust clearance problems with the Canton pan? Are there any other pans I should also consider?

Thanks,

Greg

• Administrators

Hamburger oil pans manufactures an inexpensive thick walled shallow oil pan with kick outs on both sides. Exactly 7” deep, holds 7 quarts, has built in crank scraper and trap door baffling. Clears the exhaust easily with the Hooker shorty headers. I used one on my first V-8 Z, a '75 280-Z, aka BRAAP.. That one I actually shorted the pan another ½” so it was 6 ½” deep, and added a piece a 1/8” sheet metal to the bottom of that for extra protection. This put the bottom of the oil pan at the same elevation as the bottom of the front cross member using the JTR engine mounts, (I did NOT use the JTR cross member spacers as that would’ve caused the oil pan to drag that much more). BRAAP was an autocross/street car and was lowered quite a bit and the OE V-8 oil pan was always dragging when coming off of speed bumps, no matter how slow I went over them, (remember, the sump of the SBC oil pan is behind the front wheels with JTR conversion), in the bottom of dips in the road, etc. I’d cringe real bad every time it drug, shut the engine off, stop and make sure it wasn’t leaking or didn’t collapse the pan enough to possibly be an issue covering the oil pickup. That is when I finally did the Hamburger pan shortened. You can’t shorten it much more than 6 ½” due to the oil pump, (unless you were running a remote oil pump such as dry sump…) Any how, I still drug the pan, but only on occasion and the extra material tacked to the bottom helped as the pan never distorted or collapsed.

My current V-8 Z project, another SBC but with a blower this time around, is also getting a Hamburger pan, a new one and I have not shortened it, yet, and not sure if I even will this time around. Depends on which Z it goes into, (might end up in my Z-32) and depending on ground clearance.

I’m not sure if Hamburger offers this pan for the one piece seal crank, though just because it isn’t listed say on Summits site, doesn’t mean they don’t offer it.

Her is a link..

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HAM%2D3037&N=700+400385+4294840045+115&autoview=sku

My new Hamburger pan…

DSC_4304Medium.jpg

DSC_4306Medium.jpg

InsideMedium.jpg

Bodie, On the Canton pan did you need a new pick-up tube and pump?

What Canton part numbers did you order?

Are you puting that LT1 in an S30? I see you have the JTR mounts,

Sanderson headers?

BRAAP, no reply form Hamburger yet.

Thanks,

Greg

im not runnig an lt1 just a sbc

i ordered pan 15-240 but i didnt use the canton pickup

i m using the new melling pump 10555 with the melling pickup 12557

but i did have to bend the pickup tube to fit into the pan

an also i am not running sanderson headers im buiding the exhaust myself.

BRAAP, I never heard back from Hamburger but I bought this used Hamburger off EBay Item # 220125741240

I talked with the owner before it ended and he said it came off and LT1.

It modified for the oil level hole as well.

I hope I did ok, Now I need to get a matching pick-up tube I suppose

Thanks all,

Greg

• Administrators

Greg,

First off, I didn’t see your response till just now. Sorry about that, I hope I’m not too late.

That looks like a good find. Without the kick outs, you’ll have more room for your exhaust. The ad says he is supplying the pick up, so you shouldn’t need to get one. BTW, I just dug up the specs for your new pan. It is 7 qts, and 8” deep! One inch deeper than the other econo pans listed here. Is that going to be an issue for you ground clearance wise?

Specs for Gvincents eBay find…

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HAM%2D1098&N=700+115&autoview=sku

If you so choose in the future, or if this helps anyone else, here is a quick run down of the Hamburger shallow 7” deep, 7 quart oil pans for the SBC. The 3057 is for the ‘86+ one piece rear main seal SBC which includes the LT 1, (summit part number HAM-3057) All these pans are essentially the same in design and construction. Differences being which side of the block the dipstick is cast, and whether it is one piece or two piece rear main seal.

Here are all three variants for this pan availed for the SBC.

3037, SBC ’80-’85 Pass side dipstick $229.95

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HAM%2D3037&N=700+115&autoview=sku

3047, SBC ‘55-’79 Drv side dipstick $239.88

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HAM%2D3047&N=700+115&autoview=sku

3057, SBC ’86 and later, one piece main seal. $223.69

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HAM%2D3057&N=700+115&autoview=sku

ham-3037_w.jpg

ham-3047_w.jpg

ham-3057_w.jpg

Hi BRAAP,

I have the pan and it is very clean and nice, I have the HV pick-up tube and have ordered a Melling HV pump as well, One thing the previous owner told me was to be careful with the dipstick, he had a problem with it clearing the crank scraper and inserted it wrong and ended up causing damage with the dipstick hitting the crank.

On the Hamburger pans always use their 4 piece gasket especially with a stroker because notching a one piece Felpro always seems to leak and definately use the pan reinforcement bars.

AS far as being too low, I guess I will find out once I get the motor installed (:-))

Anything special I need to know about swapping out the oil pump?

Thanks,

Greg

• Administrators

Greg,

Cool. Let us know how it comes out.

As for the pump, nothing to know other than it is pretty much a straight forward swap. Don’t forget the collar for the oil pump drive shaft etc. Be sure to set the pickup height above the pan floor.

Let us know how it works..

Paul