HybridZ

drive shaft problem...I think.....

jerryb

Under harder acceleration I get a tremendous noise comming from the driveline. I think its the driveshaft and believe I know what causing it...when I had the driveshaft built to size they made it longer than I asked for. It still fit but just barely so the spline is almost all the way in with little play...perhaps 1/8". Im guessing under throtle, tranny and shaft move closer together and the sound is the driveshaft slamming into the tranny....does this make sense?

I will drop the shaft tonight and if this is the case how much free space should I leave for the spline to slide....1/2" or more......3/4"????

Thanx in advance for your advice!!

Learning the hard way!!

if your theory is correct - there should be some signs of wear - if not break out the magic marker and mark up where you think the binding may be occuring and see if it wears off.

I had a loud noise during hard acceleration/deceleration/turning and found that the tranny was just moving around to much and bottoming on the tranny mount - stiffened up the rubber mount and the noise went away.

Although i now have another noise - and not a good one. My R200 gave up - bearings went away - pinion I believe. Rick S hooked me up with a R200 4:11 and Whiteheads is rebuilding that right now. Should be back up and running next week - if the clutch pack survived.

Since it is on the hoist I will try to measure the play I have in the drive shaft and let you know.

Good luck.

Quentin

We have an extremely tight driveshaft fit on our rb20 in the 240sx. When we got a similar noise i thought it was due to the shaft but found the bushings holding the diff up had torn causing it fo move when shifting. Check all your mounting points before you condemn the shaft.