HybridZ

Removing injector inlet screens? / home cleaning of injectors?

Sparky

I recently bought some lucas 550cc injectors for my Z and when they arrived I found that 4 of them had metal shavings and shards in them. I cannot afford to send them out and have them all cleaned so I need to try and do what I can at home to get them clean. They appear to all have good clean spray patterns, so I doubt that anything got past the inlet screens, but I'm not about to leave the metal in there while I have it all apart. I havnt tried to remove the inlet screens yet as I'm a bit afraid that I will mangle them on removal, does anyone have any advice, tips, or tricks that they use to remove them without damaging them?

injector5b.jpg

They were purchased used, just with very few miles on them since new.

I'm building a backflushing setup today, I just need to go get some clamps and a few switches. what a pain.

In reality though I would not be driving my car even if it was together, it just keeps raining down here.

I would of sent them back and had them send clean ones. Or at least asked if they had a cleaning service, since you bought it from them.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all aluminium shavings, so I don't think a magnet would work too well :)

I backflushed them using the most dangerous how built tool I've ever constructed. It was not a proud moment for me and at one point in time I even told myself "I should just send these out for cleaning, and eat the cost."

sigh. They are clean enough for the moment, maybe when I start running E85 through them the remaining slivers of alum will disolve.