HybridZ

OBX diff problem...need input quick.

lbhsbZ

TonyD came over last week and bought my OBX from me....we assembled it with 6 washers assembled like the Quaife. I send him an IM and see how its working. My OBX made it through about 5 hard launches before it started banging with the old washers. Tony should know right away whether or not it will work with the 6 washers.

You don't have to pull the center to install the clips, it's possible with the diff in place...I used a screwdriver to get the rings started crooked in the splines, then used a socket that fit nicely inside the splines to tap the ring until it seated in the groove.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TonyD came over last week and bought my OBX from me....we assembled it with 6 washers assembled like the Quaife. I send him an IM and see how its working. My OBX made it through about 5 hard launches before it started banging with the old washers. Tony should know right away whether or not it will work with the 6 washers.

The 240 differential should use 8 washers stacked ))))((((

This is because the center of the housing doesn't enclose around the washers and this configuration is needed so that the force on the washers holds the stack together!

I have been providing bolt/washer kits to Neon, Honda, and 2GNT eclipse guys for over a year now. I did the 240sx research a while back but haven't gotten any demand. It seems that this board might actually be more interested than the 240sx forums are! BTW: The early OBX 240sx diffs actually came with 8 washers with 6 of one thickness and 2 of another...

If people are interested I can provide the bolt/washer kit for the same $32 shipped that I offer for the FWD groups. I keep things in stock so they always ship the next day via priority mail. The big savings is that you don't have to buy the full box of bolts and get cheap fast shipping!

The diffs are actually pretty nice if you take the time to clean them up and replace the bolts/washers.

Here is my OBX LSD writeup for FWD cars: http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers

Let me know if I am out of line for mentioning this here rather than the forsale forum. I will happily follow whatever rules the forum has or move it there if desired.

Thanks,

Rich

Nah, man. Good info. That article you linked on your web page finally made ATB diffs clear to me.

Sell what you want where you want

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0205scc_project_ford_focus_zx3_part_4/

So you guys actually have good luck with the OBX diffs? They don't blow up or wear out and start acting differently in s short period of time?

Nah, man. Good info. That article you linked on your web page finally made ATB diffs clear to me.

Sell what you want where you want

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0205scc_project_ford_focus_zx3_part_4/

So you guys actually have good luck with the OBX diffs? They don't blow up or wear out and start acting differently in s short period of time?

No major problems. We have a minivan that runs low 13s in a FWD car that doesn't have any problems. If you ran 600+ HP at one it might break (who knows) but hey that is probably quaife land anyway.

-Rich