HybridZ

73 240z wont start, needs advice

Lately while driving , I've been noticing losses of power in my 73 240Z (all stock bits)that have been really inconsistent when I give it throttle. Today, my car started to kinda bog out, and wouldn't start back up.

The engine wants to turn when I start the ignition, but it wont fire up- no leaks of any kind anywhere. I'm guessing that this may be fuel/su carb related. This Z is really old, and just purchased it as a project, and hasn't really been tuned. I was just kinda hoping it'd last until I could get a fuel injected L28 inside of it because I have NO experience with dealing with carb problems.

I don't even know where to start with this problem, and any information would be useful. Thanks!

• Administrators

Sounds like fuel flow issues, i.e. clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump etc. Some simple diagnoses should find your problem..

Honestly, with these sort of OE maintenance type questions, you will have a MUCH better chance of getting the answers you need from such forums as http://www.classiczcars.com and/or http://www.zcar.com. As the opening title of this forum says, “When stock just don’t cut it. Ultra-High Performance Z cars.” that sums up this forum rather well. This forum is dedicated to extreme performance Z cars, not so much a DIY maintenance and restoration site....

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problems..got it fixed today my fuel lines running to the carbs were clogged with little rust bits..nasty plus i knew it was a fuel related when i disconnected fuel lines and were bone dry with 1/2 a tank of gas. Solution..cleaned out all fuel lines with air nozzel with air compressor, changed dirty fuel filter, replaced old corroded fuel pump. ..result..car starts up nice and smooth, doesnt shut off while idle.......try it...

• 1 year later...

that happened to my car at the higher revs some times, a new fuel filter and a half tank of 109 cleared it right up! but definitely stop by the shop and pick up a fuel filter. also, if you get your z to run, take you air cleaner off so you can see down your carbs to your sliders. bring the revs up to about 2500 just from the linkage thats right there and push your hand on to the intake of your carb creating a seal. hold your had there for a sec and let it build vacuum then remove your hand then do it both carbs one at a time. if there is anything loosely clogging your jets it will be sucked out. its a shady tree move but it works.