HybridZ

383 from 280ZX to 1977 Corvette, am I really gaining 700lbs?!?!?!

280zwitha383

Well I found a 1977 Corvette for what I consider a steal especially for around here. So I'm up late because I can't sleep thinking about picking it up this morning and I'm thinking about all my options. I've pretty much talked myself into selling the 280ZX with the Corvette's 350/350th and putting my 383/350th into the vette. I was wondering how the performance would be because I figured they were a little heavier. Searched for "1977 Corvette curb weight" on google and they all say 3500-3600lbs. Hmmm, sounds high. Type in "1982 280ZX curb weight" and they all say 2800lbs which most people claim they are anyway. BUT, 700+ pounds!!! Holy crap. Don't they figure 1/10 in the 1/4 for every 100 pounds? So 7 tenths?! Oh man.... Do those things really weigh that much with fiberglass bodies even? There's really nothing on a vette you could take off to lighten it besides the spare tire.... Maybe I should start building that big block I always wanted....

Vette's made in the 70's were overweight and underpowered. They didn't really handle all that well either.

Opinions will vary......

But compare the price of a 70 something vette and a pre 69 vette and see if there aren't others that agree.

Stick to vette's from the 60's and the 90's on. The current vette is a world beater.

But compare the price of a 70 something vette and a pre 69 vette and see if there aren't others that agree.

Stick to vette's from the 60's and the 90's on. The current vette is a world beater.

Shoot, if I could get one with the pocket change I have then I would in a heartbeat. I love the way the 70's look. The newer vettes are equally attractive to me because of the performance/efficiency. I don't even think about 60's corvettes. There's just no point.

also note - in order to have a fibreglass body, there had to be substantial steel bracing underneath

There's substantial something. They are pretty large cars really. They don't look that big until you get close to them. I think it gives them some presence really.

I'm considering fixing it up when time permits and possibly selling it to pay off my wife's SUV. I'm getting attached to it already and I've only had it today. :-|