HybridZ

Frame question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am getting my plans together to do a V8 conversion on a 240z or a 260z butone of my concerns is the strength of the frame. Many have told me that I would need some kind of reinforcement on the frame of the car because of the torque from the v8 engine otherwise the engine would overtorque the frame and bend it. Is this true? and if so what type of modifications would I need to make to the frame in order to do a successful conversion.

It depends on how much horsepower you are going to run, what the car is going to be used for and of course the general condition of the car. Do a search in this forum for "subframe connectors" and you will come up with a wealth of information.

I think the short answer is yes, some type of chassis stiffining will be a good idea with a V8 Z. Obviously the more horsepower and the harder you flog the beast, the more work you will want to do with the chassis. A little less obvious is that older and possibly rusty cars will need work just to get back up to stock strength.

I have read postings of people who had trouble shutting their hoods after a couple of serious torque sessions. One guy kept cracking his windsheild, altough most people think he may have other problems.