HybridZ

Cast iron or aluminum drums?

Guest buschj

Guest buschj

The JTR manual says that replacing the aluminum drums with cast iron drums and installing a proportioning valve will decrease stopping distances. They also admit that the cast iron drums will not cool as efficiently as the original aluminum drums. My dilemma began this morning when I was watching a 1960’s race at Sebring and the Triumph engineers replaced the cast iron drums with aluminum drums for the 12-hour race. Can anybody confirm that the best choice without converting to disk is the cast iron drums?

The aluminum are lighter and finned for cooling, but the cast iron will give you better braking and a firmer pedal. I would definitely suggest this as a budget alternative to rear discs. If you are racing you may need the aluminums ability to shed extra heat, but for the streets the iron is best IMO.

I'm convinced that the "iron drums are stiffer and give better pedal feel" effort is a myth invented by 510 drivers who want our aluminum drums. I can't imagine there's any benefit, and there's definitely increased unsprung mass and reduced heat dissipation. Plus, the finned aluminum looks cool (for drums). When I swapped in ZX disks at the rear, a 510 racer snapped up my drums in a heartbeat. No complaints from him:) I never had any pedal feel/firmness issues at the track with the aluminum drums myself, either.

The stock braking system on an early Z is not the limiting factor in braking distances. The biggest limiting factor is tires. From pretty much any speed you can lock all 4 wheels on a Z if you press hard enough on the brakes. And that's even true with super sticky 225 Hoosier R3S03s.