HybridZ

SB 350 or 383?

Guest awoodman

Guest awoodman

Hey everyone...i am going to soon build a small block chevy. I would like something like 400 horsepower or anything over and need to be able to run pump gas. I want to put the motor in an 80's iroc-z or something similar. I already decided that I'm going to get a 350 chevy block with a 4-bolt main. I am trying to decide whether I want to get a 383 stroker kit (like the ones seen on ebay for about $600 without rods) or if I just want to build up a 350 with a 350 crank and pistons. I want the engine to last awhile and be farely low maintenance and I want to be able to bring the car to the drags occasionally. What do you think I should do and what combinations should I go for? Thanks a lot.

• Administrators

Now which Datsun Z car is this going in again? wink.gif You must have mistaken this for a Camaro Z forum. Either way, welcome aboard.

As for engine builds… Please read #2 in this link. There are many ways to get to your desired power level with the SBC, the route you ultimately take to get to your 400 HP is really more a personal taste, as this topic can be hotly debated form several angles. This has been covered here in the past.

Please #2 and, then pull up a chair, open a cold one, and start the clicking the search button. Lots of good 350 vs 383 info here.

http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=65&a=2

Or get a used junkyard motor for $100...of 5 of 'em (spares) and a paxton supercharger for $2500. You'll be into it less than you would a proper 400hp build, and you'll make more than 400hp....and parts are cheap...just go pickup another core.

If you get real ambitious, spend $150 on a gasket set, rings an bearings to freshen up your junkyard motor.