HybridZ

T56 oil, and capacity

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, question everyone. What type of tranny oil and what is the capacity for a t56 out of a 97 firebird. According to Mike Kelly's he is using the Syncromesh. Well, I went into the Pontiac Dealer, and they didn't know, and they said they didnt' think it was Syncromesh. On the tranny it says Dexcron III. But, when we drained it it was kinda dirty clear, definatly not red. Anyway, I don't know why the dealer doesn't know, but does anyone out there know? Thanks for the info.

Sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

"Don't hate the player, hate the game!"

I was told by a GM service rep who ownes a C5 Vette that he only uses Syncromesh in his trans, and he highly recommended only using it in Any T5 or T56... I run and it works great, trans is smooth as silk...

And it took 4 bottles of the stuff if memory serves me correctly...

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited March 26, 2001).]

YES, Synchromesh! That stuff is supposed to be the hot ticket for T5 Mustang transmission too if I recall. If you talk to a T5 specialty shop they will probably yell you Synchromesh or Redline Auto Trans oil smile.gif I believe that the Synchro stuff was for the GM T5s which also took Dexron so you should be fine running it in the T56. I don't know what the capacity is...

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info guys. They told me it takes 4 quarts, and I'm gonna go ahead and use the syncro.

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

"Don't hate the player, hate the game!"

Guest Anonymous

I put Dextron III in mine. Mine said Dextron IIE and Dextron III covers all dextrons through IIE (per the oil manufacturers and GM) and it shifts fine (actually I'd say exceptional, but I think most of that is just a great design). I basically went with Mfg suggested proceedure *shrug*, there may be better, but I'm sure it cost way more. The oil in mine was red and clean looking. FWIW.

Lone