HybridZ

need help with tie rods

My 76 280 has quite a bit of slop in steering. Keeping with a budget, I want to go after worst parts first. (stock car, no racing...yet)I can see that I need outer tie rods. Does this car have inner tie rods? Do they typically wear as bad as outers? What is Inner tie rod? Looked in VB catalog and did not see listing for inner tie rod for this year. Please help, I have never worked on a rack and pinion front end.

Jeff

Be careful how you measure slop. Z's are notorious for having too much rubber mounting the steering pieces. If you hold one tire steady and can move the other tire back and forth, then you have some life threatening slop that has to be taken care of. Tire rod ends (inner and outer), steering rack, ball joints and even strut mounts all need to be checked.

If you have a lot of slop in the steering wheel, then steering rack mounts (rubber), steering coupler (rubber) and steering column U joints all need to be checked or upgraded with urethane.