HybridZ

Rotisserie center of rotation

NCchris

I've just about got the rotisserie complete and have a question. Where should the vertical center of rotation be relative to the shell? Looks to me like an inch or so above the top of the front frame rails would be good. I saw jmortenson's post on this and his front attachment point looked to be close to this number. I'm striving to get this right the first time as the wife doesn't make the best help, although she tries real hard. Easy rotation is my goal. I did build in adjustment for this purpose and realize that the front and rear attachment journals need to be concentric (in line) for this to happen. TIA for any help.

chris

Well, I'm not at home,so can't get exact measurements, but here's a pic of the way I originally did mine (and it was WAAAAYY wrong)

I lowered both ends ~8 inches, and now it's closer, but still not an exact balance--I'd say at the front, the pivot point is 3-4 inches below the top of the radiator core support

Keep in mind, this is on a 2+2, so yours may need to be a little different

rot6_thumb.jpg

Mine was bottom heavy, then I put the cage in and now it is top heavy. I can still spin it by myself, so it's close enough for me. I spun it a couple times when I first put it on the rotisserie with full suspension and wheels. That was too much weight and way too bottom heavy to be a good idea, but I have no hernias and I didn't tip the car over.

You can always do a counterweight like Steve Parmley (zlalomz) did. Then it doesn't really matter where your center is.

i have mine bolted to the bumper mounts with the axis of rotation about 4" above. the car is bottom heavy but not bad. i can rotate pretty easy. i have 2 hf engine stands and did not modify them. the only problem is that i can not rotate the car all the way around but only to about 45^. good enough to get under there and blast away or weld without being in yoga. i suppose i could go total redneck and put the rotisserie on blocks and get more room but i dont think it is to bad as it is.

jimbo