HybridZ

Steering shaft u-joint

If anyone has information pertaining to replacing the steering shaft u-joints on 72-78 Z cars I would appreciate it. If someone has u-joint part numbers as well, I would be grateful if they are passed on. Thanks.

Grog

if the stock joint is worn you usually buy another shaft used.

i replace the joint with heims but only when doing a V8 swap.

any race shop can sell you a roller heim joint they are about $55 ea

there are cheaper ones too - i have some in stock(the better ones)

There has to be a supplier for steering shaft u-joints. I don't follow your reference to heim ends in regards to the steering shaft unless you are conferring to a drag link type set-up. I would like to think that I am not the only one that questions the reliability of a 25+ year old u-joint.

Anyway, thanks scca for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

If anyone else has information, please chime in. I am a safety freak when it comes to my vehicles and the ability to safely steer a V-8Z is paramount.

the problem is the bottom shaft goes from ujoint to the splines so no one will make a specific datsun shaft replacement i would think

you can custom make a shaft like mine for about $75 in materials plus the time to do it

i have pics of the shaft in teh 5L install page on the web, you wont need a heim as well but you will need the universal joint beside the heim placed lower