HybridZ

Q45 CV failure (Pics)

mark

I thought I had this licked. CV came apart at CMP this weekend. I came home and took it apart and this is what I found. That CV boot is twisted.

DSC00109.JPG

Took the shaft out of the car and pulled the inner CV cap off and checked the axel stop. Note the wear on the axel stop. Lots and Lots of track miles. That circle is worn by the axel beating on the stop.

DSC001121.JPG

Pulled the outer CV apart. This one was pulled out of the housing and CV bearings were in the boot. Note the wear on the housing

DSC001111.JPG

It didn't take long to find the problem. WHen I had replaced the CV boots a while back, I had reversed the CV when I assembled it. THis shortened the shaft and allowed enough play to pull the cv out of the housing. Once again, I need a better mechanic.

DSC00114.JPG

I don't use the wire snap ring that is in the CV housing. I have pulled enough of those out of the CV boots after episodes like this to know they don't prevent this from happening. I'll flip the CV and put it back together. Should be fine.