HybridZ

SBC 280zx Project

Hey everyone. I am currently in the middle of my V8 280zx swap. My plans are to put a running 305 motor in my 79 280zx while i am building a 350 or 383, which will most likely be twin turbo'd. I will then swap the motors out. I have a non world class T5 transmission I am going to use with the 11" clutch setup out of the mid 80's Astro Van. Me and a buddy I work with have fabbed up some motor mounts already. I am leaving for Gulf Shores tomorrow, but when I get back I will post some pics and try my best to keep you updated.

Tyler

Sounds interesting, what transmission are you planning on putting behind the TT motor? Certainly the the non WC T5 will grenade as would the WC trans behind any kind of power that a TT motor would likely put out.

Also you may want to rethink the TT setup, in all but one instance the plumbing is a nightmare. Turbomeister has a nice setup in his z.

As many poeple i talk to poeple who have gone single stay single and poeple who have gone twin wish they went single or changed to single. You may want to build the hot side while the motor is in the car and i had problems with room because its a s400 borg waner and the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

go to dallasturbo.com thats were i got my s400 from. it was 595 shipped. the guys (dave and mike) are real nice and will work with you and you can call them with any questions or anything. or if you have any questions you can just pm me. Guys have put out some real nice numbers on those turbos. I have some pics of my setup on here i posted. I'm expecting around 575 rwhp on pump gas and around 10-12 pounds of boost. On paper that should easy but you know how that goes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I drove the Z down the street tonight. (with air still in the clutch line and a rope for a throttle! :-D ) It ran alright, but i am definately ready for the Turbo'd 383. The block goes in the machine shop next saturday! I hope to be driving the Z by the end of the week.

what is your motor setup?

I am going to turbo the 383 I am building for it. But I will probably go ahead and set it up on the 305 just for some fun. I am thinkin I am goin to run a MP T70

I was going to run the MP T70 because from what I have read it is not a bad turbo for the money. However for the same money you can get a better one that will support 1000 hp. Let me define better though because I'm saying it's better due to the amount of people that run the s400, the company support, and you have all the knowledge of the turbo from other people using them. I was just lenient with the mp's because it's a new company for cheap turbos which would make anybody lenient on why are they so cheap? I didn't want to spend 600 dollars on a door stop so I bought the s400 that has been proven by numerous amounts of poeple. I'm not trying to sway you at all just putting it out there on why I purchased the s400 instead of the mpt70.

what is your goals for this motor?

I am shooting for 1000 hp with the 383:D

You want the s400 (75mm) then, that is too much for the mpt70. are you putting that in a z cause you'll be knocking on the 8 second door with that or at least low 9's even if you mean 1000 at the motor.

some helpful links that you NEED TO read

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84015.0

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98046.0

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94080.0