HybridZ

May be getting a Mountaineer

qwik240z

I have wanted to buy a truck or SUV for winter use and light towing of a utility trailer and a tow dolly. I recently found a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer.

It is a one owner vehicle in really nice, well cared for condition. It has 125K miles and has been owned by a career Navy guy. He has done all the regular maintenance.

It is a 5.0 liter, Automatic transmission & AWD. The body is clean with no dents, nice paint and no visible rust. The interior is also very clean. It is fully loaded too. Leather, Power Everything, 6 disc CD, rear A/C, Moonroof, etc. Everything works and the truck drives nice. It will need a set of tires soon. Other then that it is ready to go.

He needs to sell it as he is being transfered to Hawaii. When I saw it about 2 months ago He wanted $5500 for it but since he is leaving next week, and has not sold it, he will take $2500 for it. (Kelly Blue Book Shows Trade in value in good condition is $3900)

I was wondeing if anyone has owned one or knows of any problems with them. I am looking for opinions (good or bad)

Thanks,

Don't have a V8, but I've had my 94 Explorer for 12 ;years now w/ very minimal issues. Only thing I'd watch is the Trans, make sure it shifts well, and if it has 4WD and Auto Hubs, switch them out to Manuals.

I've ONLY got 140K on mine but it runs like a top, can't justify getting rid of it just yet.

Don't have a V8, but I've had my 94 Explorer for 12 ;years now w/ very minimal issues. Only thing I'd watch is the Trans, make sure it shifts well, and if it has 4WD and Auto Hubs, switch them out to Manuals.

I've ONLY got 140K on mine but it runs like a top, can't justify getting rid of it just yet.

This one is full time all wheel drive. I went and drove it again today. My first test drive was only like 5 minutes. I took it for about an hour today, on the hwy and around town. The trans shifts fine. No problems and very smooth. Cold A/C, all the lights, signals, wipers, cruise, etc. work great.

I think it could use some new shocks in the near future and a set of tires but other then that, everything works great on it.

I am going to buy it. If I decide I don't like it, I can always sell it.

Thanks,