HybridZ

help me make a decision

i came across what might be the perfect starting point for my new project. 1975 280Z. mostly complete. has all the interior, all themechanicals, and is only missing the left front fender (my buddy bought it off the car before he knew i was looking for one. now he wont sell it back if i buy the car). was blue, has been repainted black. the jambs are still blue. good dash, good door panels, decent rear hatch area. seats and carpet are junk. body has bondo in the back left quarter, both the floorpans are gone, but the rockers seem solid. couldnt tell more due to massive fire ant hills that were starting to look enraged. motor appears to be all there as far as the EFI setup goes. same with the chassis, though the brakes are junk. locked up. 14 inch mags that dont match. glass is good.

the guy is asking 350 for it. doesnt run, and he doesnt know if it will.

the plan is to build this for a street driven road course car for HPDE. motor swap is an option later if the six cylender is dead. only thing is, i gotta do it on the cheap. being newly married and employed as a social worker makes things a little tough.

i guess ny overall question is, should i buy it? fabrication and wrenching are no problem to me, as i run a part time buisness specializing in doing NASA prepped vettes. the rust in the floor really worries me, and its a shame i cant look closer at the underside to see how rusty it is. if i get it back to the shop and it turns out to be too far gone to save, could i get my money back out of it? and lastly, am i being as stupid for thinking of this as my buddy that showed it to me thinks i am? (keep in mind, he makes good money and has only a mortgage to worry about. he paid about 10 times this for a much nicer Z.)

so, please advise me. i dont feel like doing something too stupid. i gave as honest appraisal as i could to you for your help in judging it. wish i had taken my camera, or id post pictures, too.

thanks

Michael

Without seeing the frame rails, and under the battery box, and running a magnet along the doors, and rockers, I wouldn't spend that much for a unknown condition body.

Having broken mechanicals is one thing (they can be fixed or replaced), but having the spreading cancerous rust already in the body is a losing battle. I would look for something about 10 times more money that is in good shape.