HybridZ

please answer my transmission questions

yenghua

ok. first of all i've been searching through this forum for hours and i don't know if i can read that much longer. i have lots of questions and since it seems that everyone is very friendly i'd like to know many things that pertain to the 280zx trannys. any leads on where i can find answers or any answers to my questions would be a great deal of help and will be appreciated.

i hear that using the n/a 5-speed tranny from the 280zx gives better acceleration than the turbo one. is that true? so should i use the turbo or nonturbo tranny? i am planning to put the tranny on the l28et that's in my 280z chassis. also, will the trannys differ if i get it from a 2+2?

when i swap in the 280zx tranny will it be a direct bolt in? will there have to be any alterations? can i use my stock driveshaft or would i have to use a 280zx driveshaft and does a 280zx driveshaft fit anyways?

what clutch and flywheel should i shop for? most likely a turbo set right? so will the teeth on the clutch disc fit on the n/a tranny?

sorry for so many question and thank you for dropping bye...

I am still sore from doing a swap in my 77 car. There really is not a whole lot to keep track of, to do this swap. Just this:

1) You will probably want to use the original stick shift as it has the right bend in it to not interfere with the hole in the chassis.

2) You want to use the throwout bearing collar for the transmission you are furnishing.

Everything else fits just right.

Good Luck

By the way, I am sore from doing this little project myself. No trans jack. :cry:

Oh yeah, (probably, more oh yeahs to come....) The speedo cog is a science, pay attention to the web site posted above.