HybridZ

Coil Overs - Photo Comparison?

I have no clue what is actually being discussed when coiloovers are brought up vs the standard strut/spring combination.

1) Does anyone have a photo that shows the two

suspensions?

2) Does anyone have a source(s) for good,

progressive rate systems that would function

well for a daily driver?

3) On a 280Z - what would be largest tire

allowable with 16" wheels without tubbing?

front & rear?

Thanks

Phantom,

There are a couple of pics HERE..

Have a look at the post regarding shocks from today and have a look at Mike's site...that is where I got mine from. I am running 16 x 8 rims with 245/50 - 16s with plenty of space...could probably fit another 1.5" on the inside (shock side).

Tim

OK - from what I can tell basically it's just modifying what is already there with a set of springs that are smaller in outside diameter. The design/arrangement is the same - just that the spings take up less horizontal space allowing more room toward the center of the car to run wider wheel/tire combinations.

Correct?

Phantom,

The Coil overs also have an adjustable sleeve that allows you to lower or

raise the car . You can also section the struts, so when the cars is lowered

you will have a fair amount of suspension travel. One other thing is with coil

overs you have a complete selection of spring rates for your driving style.

Damn. That's alot of room then =o)

I haven't gotten under mine to see how much farther I could go in, though.

I'm about as wide as I can go on the wheels I have, though...unfortunately, Ultra hasn't made my wheels in "several years" (according to a company rep), so I'd have to spend a buncha money to find something to replace them with.

Oddly, I can't go up very much farther with my coilovers, but can probably go down a couple of inches...They were installed on the car before I owned it, so I don't know the exact brand.

It's a pretty stiff ride, though. I once talked to the guy that actually built the car (for the previous owner) and he told me the car was built for road racing (it also has camber plates, polyurethane bushings, etc...) and he told me that the springs are pretty much the stiffest springs he could get (at the time anyway)...I want to say something like 300 #'s?

When I first drove it home after buying it I was thinking..."jeez, I bought a rough riding piece of junk"...but now I wouldn't trade my suspension for anything smile.gif

OK - I'm currently running 225/50-16's on all four corners. What is the widest tire I can run on all four corners? A 245 width can be fit in the rear without any suspension modifications. The question is really - what's the widest that can be fit on the front with the coil-overs - AND - without flaring.

Guest Mr. Big Business
Originally posted by Phantom:

I have no clue what is actually being discussed when coiloovers are brought up vs the standard strut/spring combination.

1) Does anyone have a photo that shows the two

suspensions?

2) Does anyone have a source(s) for good,

progressive rate systems that would function

well for a daily driver?

3) On a 280Z - what would be largest tire

allowable with 16" wheels without tubbing?

front & rear?

Thanks

Since nobody really responded with exactly what you are looking for, here you go:

this is the stock suspension (rear)

1022290816.68.100.165.222.jpg

and this is a coilover (front)

1031329736.146.135.65.92.jpg

Here is a bunch of pictures showing my suspension and brakes (in progress).

Henry

Henry - Nice brakes.

Phantom - more room in the front than in the rear. In other words, whatever you can fit in the rear (unflared) will definately fit up front. I mean, you're not gonna be putting say, 245/50 on 8 inch rims in the rear and 275/45 on 9 inch up front, right?

This whole wheel tire thing was the major reason for trying to start up that FAQ. Unfortunately, it kinda fell by the wayside. I'll add the info on Tim's wheel/tire combo to the list.

Jeromio,

Here's the deal. My stock 280Z can handle 245/50-16's in the rear but only 225/50-16's in the front because of clearance problems. That does not match up with what you are saying. I know this because I've tried it. What I am trying to find out is the actual tire/rim combinations that will actually work on both ends. I know that 225's will work on both ends with my current set-up and I know that 245's won't. With coil-overs what can I actually run???

At full lock, my 17X8 235/45 tires seem to have plenty of clearance for something wider. My old 14X8 225/65 tires had a fatter bulge and would rub very slightly against the TC rod at full lock. The clearance issues are not with the strut or even the fender lip though. It's when the wheels are turned all the way that clearance issues pop up.

JohnC put a good blurb up on the FAQ about the variations between tires even when the sizes are identical.

My current rims are 20mm offset which is pretty close to optimum for an 8 inch rim. In the rear, my unrolled fender lip is pretty close to the sidewall. I have maybe 1/2 inch on the inside with coilovers. So, I could roll the lip and probably fit a wider tire - around 245, depending on aspect and manufacturer specifics.